Unity Pro variables import

Crazzz

Hello,
So here is my problem, I have an existing program with the tags but now we have to change their names. So I exported the current database to re-import it later with the new names without changing the adress.

I didn't find a way to overwrite current tags with the new ones yet so I dont have to change every tag in the program manually.

With Proficy Machine Edition, it is possible to import the way we need by selecting variable's conflicts by the address and by selecting overwrite when there is a conflict.

Thanks for your help.

First all tags do not need an address, the only tags that need an address are those that will be externally referenced.
If you change the tagname in the variable table it will change that tag throughout the program, so if you don't have many to change you could use this method
If you have a lot of tags to change then you can export the whole project as an XEF file (right click on project at top of tree in structural view and select Export Project, then change Save As Type to application (.xef) This will create an xml file and then you can use a file editor to find and replace.

The 7000 tags all have an adress, they are all refered to field, but I have to update the names. I've already exported and changed most of the names but when I re-import them in they don't overwrite the older tags. It looks like I must overwrite them by myself, I didn't find any option option that allows me to do it automatically like with Proficy Machine Edition 7.5 by GE.

Unity uses tag names to separate different tags from each other instead memory address. (PL7 uses memory address to separate tags from each other)

If you change only memory address of tags and import tags back, Unity changes addresses of these tags if name is same.

If you change tag name to different and import these tags back, Unity pro thinks that these tags are completely new tags

You have to change variable names inside on Unity pro program (variable editor window) or use find/replace command to change old tags to new ones.

You could add the new names as an alias in the old tags. So effectively both old and new tags will work throughout the program

or both variables can have also same memory address on Unity. Memory addresses links old and new variables together and you don't need write code again

On code building you get warnings of multiple writing of same memory and troubleshooting takes of course little bit more time, because you have check from variable window which old variable have same address than new variable

But I would change variable names to new ones still...

Last edited:
For troubleshooting I prefer having the new names to
make it easier so I guess I have to change name by name.

Thanks to both of you.