GE Versa read/write to SLC 500

madhatter83

Hello everyone,

I have a project that I have to complete, and I was wondering if I can use GE Versa to read and write values to my program in SLC 500. Would anyone have any information whether this is possible? If yes..how would I go about doing so.

The program is a small industrial control project using digital inputs/outputs to move a block using pneumatic cyclinders.

Thanks in advance.
:unsure:

One possibility is the Modbus RTU protocol. I believe there is at least one model of SLC CPU that can communicate via Modbus RTU. Some models of VersaMax PLCs can be either Modbus RTU masters or slaves; other models are limited to being Modbus RTU slaves.

If you can't do it that way, then bce123's suggestion is another viable option. The Red Lion HMI is capable of acting as a bridge between the two PLCs. It can execute a script that reads values from memory locations in one PLC and writes them to memory locations in the other.

One possibility is the Modbus RTU protocol. I believe there is at least one model of SLC CPU that can communicate via Modbus RTU. Some models of VersaMax PLCs can be either Modbus RTU masters or slaves; other models are limited to being Modbus RTU slaves.

If you can't do it that way, then bce123's suggestion is another viable option. The Red Lion HMI is capable of acting as a bridge between the two PLCs. It can execute a script that reads values from memory locations in one PLC and writes them to memory locations in the other.

Any HMI that supports scripting can function as a virtual router between different brands/models of PLCs. That said, one must be aware of the fact that this message link will not function whenever the HMI is off-line.