What does "FW" mean?

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I would like to know what "FW" in the data dialog box stands-for, please. I have a definition for "F" and even "WF" but I couldn't find anything about "FW". I attached a copy of what I am talkin about. Thank you.

Is this a quiz?

Are we supposed to guess which sort of dialog box you made this screen grab from? ;)

At any rate, I'm guessing that the "W" stands for a "Word" reference.

Greetings Brent ...

"F" means that the location is being used at the "FILE" level ... something like an FLL (File Fill) command would cause the table to be marked this way ...

"W" means that the location is being used at the "WORD" level ... something like an MOV (Move) command would cause the table to be marked this way ...

basic idea: even though the location on a horizontal row doesn't have an "X" mark - that doesn't necessarily mean that the location isn't being used in your program ... if the "F" or the "W" mark is there, then the location actually *IS* being used regardless of the "no X" condition ...

going even further ...

remember that Indirect addressing - which uses the [square bracket] characters – won't ever show up on the usage table ...

Last edited:
Greetings Brent ...

"F" means that the location is being used at the "FILE" level ... something like an FLL (File Fill) command would cause the table to be marked this way ...

"W" means that the location is being used at the "WORD" level ... something like an MOV (Move) command would cause the table to be marked this way ...

basic idea: even though the location on a horizontal row doesn't have an "X" mark - that doesn't necessarily mean that the location isn't being used in your program ... if the "F" or the "W" mark is there, then the location actually *IS* being used regardless of the "no X" condition ...

going even further ...

remember that Indirect addressing - which uses the [square bracket] characters – won't ever show up on the usage table ...

Yes, I remember the Indirect Address wont show up. That is one of the issues that started my Indirect Addressing phobia. I was just curious about the "FW" showing up as it does because nothing I read even addressed those two letters together, in that order.

well, if it's the ORDER of the letters that's bugging you - don't worry about it ...

it shows up on the screen as "FW" (F for File ... W for Word) ... each of the letters has its own particular meaning – so you could say that each of the letters "stands alone" ...

specifically, the order of the two letters (WF or FW) doesn't mean anything ...

so basically, the order (WF) shown in the "book" is just a misprint ... (much like the non-existent lower-case "d" for "Deletion" in the "Edit Zones" section) ...

Last edited:
Online help gives you this. Key word "Usage"
This is exactly what I was asking about. It shows the definition of "WF" but not "FW", and I wanted to know the difference. I am making a bigger deal out of this than I probably should. I was just curious to know what it meant.

well, if it's the order of the letters that's bugging you - don't worry about it ...

it shows up on the screen as "fw" (f for file ... W for word) ... Each of the letters has its own particular meaning – so you could say that each of the letters "stands alone" ...

specifically, the order of the two letters (wf or fw) doesn't mean anything ...

so basically, the order (wf) shown in the "book" is just a misprint ... (much like the non-existent lower-case "d" for "deletion" in the "edit zones" section) ...
thank you sir, may i have another. Lol

This is exactly what I was asking about. It shows the definition of "WF" but not "FW", and I wanted to know the difference.
Technically and literally, WF ("being used as a Word within a File") would not be the same as FW "being used as a File address") AND ("being used as a word address").

I thought we were through with this ...

from Lancie1 ...

Technically and literally, WF ("being used as a Word within a File") would not be the same as FW "being used as a File address") AND ("being used as a word address").

I wouldn't know how to argue that point - but I'm betting that Allen-Bradley isn't going to change their screen displays - or their documentation - this late in the game ...

the fact remains that I've seen plenty of "FW" entries - but never the first "WF" (except in the "book") ...

(A) if you use a location as a "word" then the Usage feature displays a "W" ...

(B) if you use a location as part of a "file" then the Usage feature displays an "F" ...

I guess that there's a point to this ongoing discussion somewhere - but so far I haven't been able to quite put my finger on it ...

fw_vs_wf.PNG

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on what your definition of "file" is ...

maybe this is what's contributing to the confusion ... looks like the term "file" is being used in TWO different senses in the book ...

(1) "file" as in a PROJECT or LADDER or LOGIC file ... and

(2) "file" as in a DATA file ...

if you squeeze in the qualifiers as shown below, I suppose that the "book" description does tend to make a little more sense ...

that still doesn't change the fact that you CAN see some "FW" entries on the screen from time to time – but (as far as I know) there's NEVER a "WF" entry as shown in the book ...

so I'm still going to hang my hat on the same old peg ...

(A) if you use a location as a "word" then the Usage feature displays a "W" ...

(B) if you use a location as part of a "file" then the Usage feature displays an "F" ...

I don't see how that could be misinterpreted – or debated ...

fw_vs_wf_2.PNG

Last edited:
This has been very educational Ron and Lancie1. I always kind of looked at a file as the same thing as a word. I know it sounds goofy but that is how I kind of imagined it. This has shown me the error in my way of thinking. Thank you