MicroLogix Basics Tutorial Source

deanfran

Short story long. I have just recently started self teaching ladder programming, and controls. I have successfully implemented a couple small projects here at work using CLICK PLCs. I was rummaging through some mothballed equipment yesterday, and came across a piece of equipment with an AB Micrologix 1000 in it and got the idea maybe I could use it in a future project. I know its a few generations old when it comes to AB controllers, but it still is a pretty powerful unit. So hustled right out and downloaded RSLogix Micro, RSLinx, and RSLogix Emulate 500, and got everything working. I have a pretty good grasp of how to get many things done thanks to Automation Direct's excellent products, but I am totally lost when it comes to RSLogix nomenclature, etc. I have come across a few good YouTube videos that go over basic stuff like this, but I would really appreciate any good learning resources to get myself up and running using this stuff. Thanks in Advance.

the best way to proceed is to go as far as you can - until you run into a serious snag ...

then post a question here on the forum ... including a screen shot is always a good idea ...

we'll be glad to help you over the rough spots ...

question: what operating system are you using on your computer? ...

XP Pro. I created a simple one rung program with a NO input, and a coil, just to make sure everything was working, and I must say the emulator is pretty cool. I haven't tried to power up the actual PLC. I haven't even ordered a comm cable yet. My guess is I will have to wipe the memory, and start from scratch, though if I could take a look at the program that is in it that would be pretty educational. We'll see what I can see once I get the comm cable. As I said, I ran across a couple pretty good video series on YouTube that should help, but I figured the folks here might have knowledge of resources I don't have. Don't worry I'm sure once I actually try something for real, I will be here regularly. I have learned quite a bit from mostly lurking here over the past year or so.