Choosing an HMI

Christoff84

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm looking at replacing our aging fleet of AB Panelview 550s with something a little more modern. I've looked at the upgrade path with AB and think it's worth considering other vendors.

The vendors I've come across so far seem to be:
Omron NB Series
Redlion G3's
AD C-More
Proface GP series
Schneider Magelis

These would be connected via serial to SLC 5/04 so I think all would be fine with that, just looking for opinions from people who have worked with them, or let me know if I've missed any other major players (besides AB and Siemens). I haven't worked on anything except AB in my career so there will be a learning curve regardless of selection.

We had a sales guy a couple of days ago. He had a Beijer 10" HMI and it was around $2000. I think it's lot cheaper than any other major brands.

Although I have never used NB series yet, [I used many NS series, the software to develop was very intuitive and easy to use.] I would second Omron HMI, but only if your connectivity to the PLC support the specs. The catalogue says it supports DF1 and Control Logix/Compact Logix.

I have heard a lot of good comments about Red Lion's G3, waiting for opportunity to use it as well.

Regards

You might want to look at Maple Systems also. I have had very good luck with them and they seem to communicate with almost everything.

I spent most of today playing with the Omron NB-Designer software. There are so many options it's impressive and it seems fairly easy to work with, a total drag n drop system. I'm disappointed the only training class they have for any kind of HMI software is in Montreal and in french, which isn't all that helpful. I think a lot of this will depend on availability of support and training.

Next week I'll start calling in sales reps to see what they can offer.

The Omron NB software is quite powerful but also quite different - takes a bit of getting around but really good when you get used to it. The Omron NS is a great screen and the software excellent. I have also used Beijer sunlight readable screens - also very powerful but the software is again very different. I do not like Red Lion screens and Crimson 2 in my view is terrible. I have not used Crimson 3 so no comment. I have had quite a high failure rate with Red Lion screens so far and have replaced them with the higher priced Omron NS screens. I do quite a lot of animation with the NS series as well - rotating fans - smoke from the generator exhaust (white of course), circuit breakers opening and closing, valves open, closed and in mid state - a lot if things. I would vote for the NS with the NB second once used to the software. Beijer 3rd.

Christoff,

I will throw our hat into the ring. We are a distributor for KEP and offer the eMT3000 series. When considering Maple Systems, this is the same hardware and software, but at a lower price.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/MMI8000.htm

You can download the programming software from our web site for evaluation. It includes an online simulator whereby you can use the software directly with your PLC to see how it operates. You can do this before even buying a screen.

What size screen are you currently using?

If you have any questions, feel free to pm or email - [email protected]

Free software is an obvious advantage with the AD C-More. If you have to purchase software, then you'll also have to purchase upgrades forever. The days of actually owning software that you have purchased are over. You only rent software nowadays.

We recently switched to the Red Lion G3. I have had no issues with them. Communications are relatively easy, free software, good tech support, and the price was right. Other than that we still have a few C-more screens all of which have never been a problem.

Happy Hunting!

I have recently been doing EXACTLY what you are describing. I chose the RedLionG3 and have been nothing but satisfied. Free software, free support, simple programming, flash card on-board for data storage, I have not had any negatives yet. The last large project I worked on was automating an CVD (chemical vapor deposition) process, I used the Allen-Bradley DP and purchased a tower PC as a server/client and an Allen-Bradley DP as another client, in that network. I used Factory Talk SE Server, Client, and Editor. It took me an entire week just to learn how to use the software and establish my SCADA. It was many thousands of dollars just to purchase the software. Then I had to pay another $8k for the Rockwell Support. The only reason I maintained my tech support agreement was because of the Factory Talk Software. Since the changing-out of the HMI’s, I did not renew my support contract last November. The $ savings with the RedLion HMI is incredible. Also, I was able to make all my purchases from folks here on the forum, which saved me even more $. Hope this helps.

I spent most of today playing with the Omron NB-Designer software..

As I mentioned before, the software for the RedLion HMI is free. It is called Crimson 3.0. I would "play" with that for a while if I were you. You will find it very easy to learn and very capable of providing whatever you may need.