Common banner on all FactoryTalk View display screens

tsmith35

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to find the right way to utilize a common banner on all (or at least on most) display screens in a FactoryTalk View SE project. I guess the best way to describe it would be something similar to the link banner at the top of these forum pages.

The purpose of the banner is primarily to allow operators to see a few critical process values regardless of which display screen they're on at the time, and possibly to provide a common location for a "home" button.

I've considered copying the banner elements to each and every page, but I was hoping to find a more elegant solution that would allow me to make changes in one place if/when such changes are necessary.

Make the banner a separate screen that is sized and positioned on the top. Make the replaceable screen below it smaller to fit. Once the banner is shown, never replace it.

Hey, thanks! All of my searches were turning up nil, but after you made that suggestion, I am hitting pay dirt. Apparently I never included the phrase "navigation bar" while searching...

Thanks again!

What I do is make a screen in the "Global" section of the SE Server. I put all of the elements I want on all screens on that Global screen. Then, in the Display Section, I make a "Template" display, then copy-paste FROM the Global objects screen to the Template screen. Then I right-click-duplicate the Template screen to make a new one. When done, I delete the Template screen if it would cause licensing issues (i.e. putting me over the screen limit); otherwise I just leave it there for the future. You could also copy-paste from the Global screen to any screen you want to have the banners on. Even though you are copy-pasting, any changes you make to those elements are done on the Global screen, and they will be reflected on all screens you copied those objects to automatically.

This IMO is the most flexible method. You still have the advantage of being able to edit your banners in one place and having it updated everywhere automatically, and you also have the advantage of being able to choose to omit certain elements of the banner on certain screens if you need to.

Last edited:
Hey, that's a good idea too! Thank you for sharing that. I'd used global stuff on a very small scale before (motors, logos, etc) but never thought of using it for something larger.