SLC 5/05 Comm Help!!!

mdemmer

I am stumped. I have a SLC 5/05 with an Default IP. I have tried to connect with my RS-232 and have had no luck. The weird thing is I can see the DEFAULT PLC (I reset it a million times) in RSLinx when the jumper (J4) is in Protect but obviously cannot download because it faults with a No Privilege message.

So How do I get On-Line? I've tried the BOOTP utility but I can't figure it out.

Has anyone heard of a Serial Port doing this? I've heard they can Lock up but I would have thought that a reset of VDD to GND would fix that.

Any help would be amazing because I'm now lost.

Default for a SLC5/05's serial port is DF1 protocol. What driver are you using in RSLinx?
Should be" RS232 DF1 Devices" driver for a default processor.
What cable are you using? Null-modem cable is required.
Are you using a USB to serial adapter ( not all work) or a real serial port on your PC?
Have you tried "Autocongifure"?

That jumper J4 should be left along, it's for upgrading firmware. Leave it in the protect position.

See PDF below if you have not already cleared the memory.

Last edited:
mdemmer,

the rs232 cable requires a null modem if you are not using the ab cable.

when using bootp

start bootp
click on tools > network settings
enter a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 - everything else is left alone. uncheck the enable the bootp address - sorry, i can't remember what the term is.

save the settings

power up the slc. the unit will then begin broadcasting

connect the pc to the plc ethernet port using a crossover cable or use standard cables using an ethernet hub.

start bootp

pretty soon the plc will send a signal to bootp.
it will say bootp and the mac address.
click on that bootp.
then click on "add to relocation list"
a screen will pop up and allow you to type in the desired ip address.

you should then be able to configure rslinx and connect to the 5/05.
run logix 500 and take off.

regards,
james

Mickey,

I am using a 1747-CP3 Cable with my Sabrent USB-to-9pin Serial adapter that I have NEVER had issue with when programming AB equipment. (omron is a different story for another time). I had my info mixed up with the J4 Jumper. As I see in your Reset procedure, the default status will not reset if I am in Program OS location. I believe that my issue is more or less with the Privilege message I get when I auto Configure my setting in RSLinx and I see the PLC I just cannot download.

James,

If I cannot figure out my serial port issue I'm going to try the BOOTP way again and try your steps out and see if I missed something.

Can you post a screen shot of this "Privilege message".

What version of RSLinx are you running?

Last edited:
screenshot.jpg.html

This is the screen shot of the message. I did read on a forum that it could be a bad key switch on the Processor.

chcwkjsab

Last edited:
Mdemmer - you can upload you images to the site. The url to photobucket has too many 'http's

I'll repost the central message from one of them

Fail.jpg

Last edited:
I have a good AB Background and I have never ran into this. I cannot upload to see if the PLC was ever toggled to be write protected and I don't have the IP and I've reset it a few times so I'm assuming there is no IP.

I am going to try the BOOTP again but last time I couldn't receive a respond from the CPU

I have a good AB Background and I have never ran into this. I cannot upload to see if the PLC was ever toggled to be write protected and I don't have the IP and I've reset it a few times so I'm assuming there is no IP.

I am going to try the BOOTP again but last time I couldn't receive a respond from the CPU

One problem I have had with BOOTP is that if I have more than one network enabled (onboard Ethernet and wireless Ethernet, say) it will not find the device. Try disabling all of your other network connections if you're having problems with BOOTP.

Thanks for all the support. It turns out that I indeed had a crossover cable when I wasn't using a HUB, along with having my wireless ON, along with running VM ware in the back ground (that introduces 2 more VNet Drivers that come up DHCP) So with all the scanning I timed out before the BOOTP MAC ID Was displayed.

So I got My Ethernet port set to a Know IP and I still get the same message when trying to download with either RS232 or Ethernet.

The Processor is 1747-OS501 Series C FRN 9. I have noticed a divide between the FRN 9 and anything FRN 10 and over. Could this be a bug on the Card straight out of the box?

I don't have a full history on the card. It was given to me by a friend that got it (I say USED) from who knows were and it look so clean I could eat off of it. So I see no signs that this card was ever used (Hence it being for sale)

The Processor is 1747-OS501 Series C FRN 9. I have noticed a divide between the FRN 9 and anything FRN 10 and over. Could this be a bug on the Card straight out of the box?

I don't have a full history on the card. It was given to me by a friend that got it (I say USED) from who knows were and it look so clean I could eat off of it. So I see no signs that this card was ever used (Hence it being for sale)

Take a look at this link...
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/14842/
Not sure if the timing is right but the fact that it talks about the connection between the comms and the main board makes me suspect.

Thanks for the Tech Note

Turns out that mine is 1 Mfg Code: (0306) away from the 0305 that is included in the batch. I'm still trying and not giving up on this card.

It's almost like that tech note is going in the right direction. I can see it in RSLinx (both CH0 and CH1) but cannot download so it's like it unable to do any online edits.