Wonderware /Archestra Symbols problem

SkyTech

Hi everyone,

I am a trainee at a industrial company and i am designing a interactive aplication with wonderware that will allow users to consult data information from all the industry PLCs.

My question is: should i only using archestra objects and then publish those on web exporter, or should i use the window maker etc?

The guy from the wonderware suport in my country said that archestra objects are much more simple to use, but everywhere i look into i only see people working with windowmaker, windowviewer and so on.

I really need help because i am starting and i need to chose which way to go.

Hi everyone,

My question is: should i only using archestra objects and then publish those on web exporter, or should i use the window maker etc?

I really need help because i am starting and i need to chose which way to go.

Depends on your audience. Are you training people to develop (OEMs, System Integrators) or are you training people to support (Plant personnel, maintenance).

The classic InTouch Maker/Viewer is well established. System Platform/Archestra are building a base.

I am develloping this app to support and supervise the factory. Mainly i am doing this to check on real time energetic consumes by machines, and other stuff such as water consume on the buildings and so on.

Here is what i am trying to do right now:
- Create a graphic symbol for each object(or father object)
- This graphic displays the info desired using animations etc
- Create a main layout where i can use butons to invoke areas of the factory and then more sprecifically the machine that i want to chek info from.
- Use Web exporter and publish this main layout on the web local host.

I dont really know if this is the right procedure but at this moment is what i am doing.

P.S. I am using Archestra IDE and Wonderware for the 1st time in my life and i start working with it last week.

You are treading on a complex project.
You really need to take some training rather than being self taught.

You are treading on a complex project.
You really need to take some training rather than being self taught.

Eveything is already setted up like all galaxy objects taged and linked to the respective machines, all the atributes scripts done etc. I will only do the interface part, because at the moment the data is only being displayed on a excel sheet and they want a fancy graphic interface.

Where can i found training?

Contact your local Wonderware Rep. for training.

If it were me, I'd have the graphics at the ArchestrA Object Template Level.

It does not really matter and will depend on how you design your system, navigation to different windows being the main attribute. There are many methods you can do this by so ensure you develop a easy one.

We have used most different methods and i would move towards devloping the main screens in the Archestra graphics only, as this is where the product is moving towards.

The different options i have seen are:

1. ArchestrA graphics only using "placeholders" in Intouch. <recommended>
2. ArchestrA graphics with main pages created in Intouch.
3. Archestra Objects with Smartsymbols in Intouch.(Like older versions of ArchestrA.)

Rheinhardt

It does not really matter and will depend on how you design your system, navigation to different windows being the main attribute. There are many methods you can do this by so ensure you develop a easy one.

We have used most different methods and i would move towards devloping the main screens in the Archestra graphics only, as this is where the product is moving towards.

The different options i have seen are:

1. ArchestrA graphics only using "placeholders" in Intouch. <recommended>
2. ArchestrA graphics with main pages created in Intouch.
3. Archestra Objects with Smartsymbols in Intouch.(Like older versions of ArchestrA.)

Rheinhardt

First of all thank all of you for your help.
But i am having dificulties understanding this 3 processes that you advised. I am only using Archestra IDE for now i never touched intouch or other related components. Like i said up there my process is based on archestra objects and graphics that i make. then everything is exported to the localhost/wonderware. I created 1 main layout of the factory (1object-1graphic) and then i used buttons and other animations to explore this main layout to more specific areas or machines.

I dont know if you understand my process of thinking but i hope you can and give me some tips on how to improve this or find another way to go.

How do you switch your graphics? What script do you use? Did you embed the main windown winthin an Intouch Window?

Like i said i am only using archestra objects and graphics. I am not using windowmaker, windowviewer etc.
For example i create a object with a graphic embebed. This graphic is for example the main layout. In this graphic i use buttons to navigate to other objects graphics previously done.
Example:(in Archestra IDE)

$Group of Machines
-Machine1
-Machine2

In this group i create a graphic (containing info that we want to show) on "$Group of Machines" wich will be inherited by Machine1,Machine2,etc. Then i create a object like:

-Main_Layout

In this object i add a graphic with the industry main layout for example. Then i start doing a kind of menu with options to help the user seek for the info that he wants.

Example:

Button 1 - Check Industry section X
Button 2 - Check Industry section Y

Then i start to go deeper until reach the MachineX.

Next step is opening archestra web exporter and creating a new web project. then i publish the object Main_Layout into the localhost to see how it went.

Pretty much this is what i am doing right now because the representative of wonderware told me to do.

I dont know if this is the right procedure but its all i know.
Please help me because i dont feel secure using this method.

How do you switch your graphics? What script do you use? Did you embed the main windown winthin an Intouch Window?

Ok you need to start at the basics. Remember you still need to run the graphics out of Windowviewer. For this you will need to do a managed application. You main window should be embedded within at least one intouch window (within windowmaker). Switch to runtime from your windowmaker while testing this(Windowviewer).

Start small. Get your main window running first so you can understand the principles of embedding window. Next try the navigation between windows you can only do this from Windowviewer.

I would suggest looking at doing it initially with fixed reference to the Graphics you want to display.

Go through the documentation, there are loads of information around.

Also join the Wonderware Developers Network www.wonderware.com under support tab.

You really need to try and understand the basics first.

Rheinhardt

Ok you need to start at the basics. Remember you still need to run the graphics out of Windowviewer. For this you will need to do a managed application. You main window should be embedded within at least one intouch window (within windowmaker). Switch to runtime from your windowmaker while testing this(Windowviewer).

Start small. Get your main window running first so you can understand the principles of embedding window. Next try the navigation between windows you can only do this from Windowviewer.

I would suggest looking at doing it initially with fixed reference to the Graphics you want to display.

Go through the documentation, there are loads of information around.

Also join the Wonderware Developers Network www.wonderware.com under support tab.

You really need to try and understand the basics first.

Rheinhardt

So what you sugest is a mix between using the windows (from intouch window maker) as a main base and then import archestra objects/graphics into it to do the interactive interface.

Am i correct?

Correct. Once you understand this principle you can start playing around with changing windows or layers as required.