OT: Pneumatic Valve for cold weather

We are in the process of planning an upgrade to a sorter line which is located outside. We are using tipples that are actuated pneumatically. In the winter the valves tend to freeze up. we are currently using Mac valves with a heater plate bolted to the manifold, it works okay but I think it could be better as some freezing still occurs when it gets really cold (<20F). We have tried our best to remove moisture from the lines, but it is hard to get it all.

Can anyone here recommend a directional valve (5way, 2-pos) that works well in outdoor freezing conditions. A valve that has a built in heater would be ideal if such a thing exists. Our control system is 120V, and we have 120V available for heaters. Something easily available in the U.S. is preferred.

Thanks for your help
Mark Snodgrass

an OEM i worked for refused to let anyone but Mac valves.
he said that any moisture would ruin them.

We used Numatics brand for years and them started using SMC.

i prefer numatics. you can fill them full of water and they still work. i got 20 gal of water out of a machine i installed over the july shutdown years ago. every valve and air line was full of water. some valves were gummed up, but i manually shifted them a couple of times and they took off.

regards,
james

@Bit Bucket: We dont use the ceramic valves here, but I have used them at another plant indoors and know they are good with dirt and moisture. Not sure how resistant they are to the icing up that would happen overnight as we are shutdown.

@James Mac: I have used those brands before also. We are not having much problem in the summer months, only in the winter when the water starts to ice in the valve.

@DwSoFt: We have that and it helps, but just looking for the most reliable solution