Communication for Panel View Plus 1000.

ashishm.gupta

Hi frnds,

How can I connect a panel view plus 1000 (CAT No. 2711P-RDB10C) to PC? Is RS Linx Classic is required for the communication? Which type of cable will be required for the communication?

Welcome to the Forum !

PanelView Plus terminals generally connect to Personal Computers using Ethernet. Use an ordinary Ethernet patch cable to connect the PanelView Plus Ethernet port to your Ethernet network, and follow the directions in the User Manual to assign an IP address.

RSLinx Classic is not used with PanelView Plus terminals. Instead, the terminals and the editing software (FactoryTalk View Studio) use their own communications software, called RSLinx Enterprise.

These topics, and more, are well documented in the User Manuals for the PanelView Plus terminal. From the Literature.rockwellautomation.com website, use '2711P' as the Search Term and the first result is the User Manual.

The version of FactoryTalk View you will want is Studio ME. ME stands for "Machine Edition," which is the edition for Panelview Plus. Don't get SE, that is for running HMI applications directly on a PC. The "Studio" part is the part that allows you to edit the panelview screens, which is what I'm assuming you want to do. So the full name of the program you want is FactoryTalk View Studio ME, and as Ken said, this comes with RSLinx Enterprise built in. There's no need to buy a separate copy of RSLinx.

I don't mean to sound condescending or anything, it's just that there are a TON of different editions of HMI software and it's ALL called "FactoryTalk View" something-or-other. It's extremely frustrating for someone who's never waded through the massive product matrix. Here's a basic rundown of the FTView product offering you didn't ask for.

There are three "levels" of application: Full-on SCADA with central servers and clients, Stand-alone PC-based HMI, and machine-level Panelview Plus. FactoryTalk View SE covers the first two levels, and ME the last.

FactoryTalk View...
SE Server - A virtual server license for a distributed application. You can have more than one HMI server on a physical machine
SE Client - A license for a client PC to connect to an SE Server. This is the other "half" of the supervisory system. Basically you make all screen changes on the server and the client updates automatically. When you're getting a distributed system, you'd buy server and client licenses together.

SE Station - A license for a SINGLE PC to run an ENTIRE HMI program on it. It doesn't connect to a server and the entire application resides locally on the machine. This is pretty much analgous to what RSView32 was, if you're familiar with that.

Studio SE - This license lets you DEVELOP SE applications and ONLY SE applications. It allows Local and Network development.

Studio ME - This license lets you develop applications for the Panelview Plus platform and ONLY the Panelview Plus platform.

ME Station - You can buy this license to run Panelview Plus applications on a PC, although it's not as powerful as SE Station. When you buy a Panelview Plus, this license is part of what you're buying.

Last edited:
SE Station - A license for a SINGLE PC to run an ENTIRE HMI program on it. It doesn't connect to a server and the entire application resides locally on the machine.

ME Station - You can buy this license to run Panelview Plus applications on a PC, although it's not as powerful as SE Station. When you buy a Panelview Plus, this license is part of what you're buying.

brstilson,

Thank you, that was awesome.
Any chance you can highlight how "ME Station" is not as powerful as "SE Station" please ?

brstilson,

Thanks a lot Sir. I always get confused about FT View that what is the difference between FTV, FTV SE and FTV ME but you described well.But I still have some doubt.

In my last job we were using FT View SE and we had 2 server and 3 clients, the FTV SE was installed in one server and other one had RS Logix 5000. For any editing in HMI server we used to edit the screens in server and our clients gets updated too. But as you said for this, one should have FT View Studio. How is it possible? Does it mean that we had both i.e. FT View Studio and FT View Studio SE?

Please clarify?

There are three "levels" of application: Full-on SCADA with central servers and clients, Stand-alone PC-based HMI, and machine-level Panelview Plus. FactoryTalk View SE covers the first two levels, and ME the last.

FactoryTalk View...
SE Server - A virtual server license for a distributed application. You can have more than one HMI server on a physical machine
SE Client - A license for a client PC to connect to an SE Server. This is the other "half" of the supervisory system. Basically you make all screen changes on the server and the client updates automatically. When you're getting a distributed system, you'd buy server and client licenses together.

SE Station - A license for a SINGLE PC to run an ENTIRE HMI program on it. It doesn't connect to a server and the entire application resides locally on the machine. This is pretty much analgous to what RSView32 was, if you're familiar with that.

Studio SE - This license lets you DEVELOP SE applications and ONLY SE applications. It allows Local and Network development.

Studio ME - This license lets you develop applications for the Panelview Plus platform and ONLY the Panelview Plus platform.

ME Station - You can buy this license to run Panelview Plus applications on a PC, although it's not as powerful as SE Station. When you buy a Panelview Plus, this license is part of what you're buying.[/quote]

I thought that a FactoryTalk View Studio license for SE also included the ability to develop projects for ME. All you did was point Studio at the Local FactoryTalk Directory, instead of at the Network FactoryTalk Directory.

If you already have FactoryTalk View Studio SE, you should be able to create FactoryTalk View ME projects for PanelView Plus as well.

When you open FactoryTalk View Studio SE, the software should ask you which type of project you want to open up.