OMRON - Few Quick Questions

PDBRider

PLC: CJ2 series
This is my first time working with an OMRON plc
I am looking for some documentation on how to setup and map Ethernet IO devices. (DataMan300 is the current device I am tackling)

I also am curious where the devicenet mapping is done.

Finally what is the difference between a 'W' work bit and a 'D' work bit?
When to use Channel for data type?

I am just starting to do this myself. It takes several steps. Your best bet is to call Omron tech support they will walk you through it. They were very helpful and didn't require a support contract.

I have not used Ethernet I/O so cannot help there - I normally use CompoNet - fast and only 2 wires. W is a work bit area - you can use as bits or words. They are not memory retentive. D is Data Memory area or registers - they are memory retentive. It was not possible to access bits in the D area until the most recent PLCs - they were only word registers.Then there is the H area - bit or word access - memory retentive.
I do not use the W area (known as M in many PLCs) at all - just use CIO.
Device Net usually does not need to be mapped - there is a scanner for the Device Net card to scan the network - if you are using Omron Device Net I/O. Not a huge fan of Device Net - too expensive - cable is expensive - power supply issues if you get a voltage drop in the cable.

For Ethernet IO, after you set up the network using CX-Integrator, then you use Network Configurator for Ethernet IO.
For DeviceNet, you have to set up the network card first then use Integrator to configure and map the IO. Like I said, the tech can walk you through it and answer questions as you go. I've got my device net card setup and it works fine. What version of CX-One do you have? I think you have to have at least 8, maybe 9 to use the CJ2.

Are you using Ethernet/IP?
If so, then you need CX-Integrator for E/IP. The IO mapping & assembly instance setup is done in here, then the data just appears in the IO table. it is most common to use the CIO area for your IO map.
Devicenet can be done with CX-integrator, or by default based on the node switch settings, is up to you. It is covered in the manual for devicenet setup.

Channel type is the default type, can be used for anything. Types in omron are there to 'aid' the programmer, they are not a necessity to use.
When viewing online is when they are most useful, as they will display the value as the type it is...

The Omron DTL is the best place to look for documentation, it has all the manuals required. MrPLC also has quite a few.