multistate indicator that serves as a button?

Shiro485

Hey guys, just looking for a quick answer of what the best possible choice is for a multistate indicator that will also serve as a button in factory talk. Is there an option for that or do i have to hide a button behind the multistate indicator?
Thanks

ME I want a system enable and system disable button and when either or of the buttons is hit I want the status to update on the button to say system is currently disabled or enabled.

Thanks

i realize i could just do that with two buttons and a multi status indicator but I want the buttons to be buttons and serve as an indicator as well.

If it is just two states, just use a maintained pushbutton and monitor the same tag for the states as the button is writing to.
FTView ME also has a multi-state pushbutton that can be made to step through a sequence of states. Been awhile since I had to use one of those, but I remember it not being difficult to set up

Or if you want two buttons, one for disable and one enable, then just have them be momentary writing to separate tags, but both using the same "system_enabled" tag for the status.

Last edited:
Too kind of give a more detailed description

I want two buttons

System Enable

System Disable

You can push system enable for instance to enable the system when you push it it will change color and text notifiying you that the system is enabled, however you can not push the same button again to disable system you must push system disable, and the same process will happen, it will change its state and notify you that system is disabled and you have to hit the system enable button to go. How would I go about this?

Sorry for the newbish questions, I am learning as I go.

Thanks

All 'Button' objects in FactoryTalk View have at least two states, which include individual colors, text, and images.

I think you should use Momentary Pushbuttons.

The Value connection for each will be addressed to an individudal Tag in ControlLogix; call those 'Enable' or 'Disable'.

The Indicator connection for both will be addressed to a different Tag: that actual 'system Enabled' tag.

Use an ordinary '3 wire latch' logic in your PLC, where a momentary Start tag will latch in the Enabled state of the system until a Stop tag goes true.

The challenge is to clearly use color and text to indicate 'press this button to enable system' at the same time as you are indicating 'the system is enabled'.

Last edited: