Panelview via compactlogix communication

kbradray

I have a panelview connected via RS232 DB9 (not round mini) to a compactlogix. The compactlogix is connected via (round mini) to a NETENI. Can I go through the compactlogix via the round mini RS232 connector and upload the PV+ program. If so please provide guidance or steps. I have only uploaded and downloaded to PV+ via Ethernet. If I can find or configure the NETENI I may be able to go through this device, but just more steps to worry about.

ML1500 not Compactlogix Sorry

My mistake. I was thinking about the 2 serial ports and discovered that it is a ML 1500.

same question. How can one navigate via the ML1500 to the Panelview +

It seems that shutting the system down is not an issue since you are planning you use one of the CPU's RS232 ports which seemingly are both in use.
All PV+ terminals have an Ethernet port; why not uploading directly from the terminal?
Verify your PC's NIC IP Address and within the terminal's Application Settings/Networking and Communications/Network Adapter set an IP Address corresponding to your PC's subnet one (identical first three octets) a, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0; disable the BOOTP and DHCP features.
After setting the terminal's IP Address, reboot it and connect it to your PC's Network Adapter via an Ethernet patch cable; run the FTVS Application Transfer utility and you should be able to "see" the HMI within the RSLinx Enterprise RSWho interface and then upload any/all Runtime application(s).

A note for the future: when asking PanelView questions, always post the complete part number of the terminal.

If the terminal is an older 'PanelView Standard', the part number is absolutely essential because it tells you what communication protocol the terminal uses.

The MicroLogix 1500 controller does not support channel-to-channel Passthrough, and the Net-ENI only supports a single network address on the RS-232 side.

I prefer using memory cards to upload/download PanelView applications when dealing with serial models, to avoid exactly this sort of complexity.

dmargineau said:
All PV+ terminals have an Ethernet port

dmargineau,

Just a small correction...

An Ethernet port is not standard on the PanelView Plus 400 or 600, only on the 700 to 1500. There are two base units available for the 400 and 600. One has an RS232 DB-9 port and USB only. The other has an RS232 DB-9 port, USB, Ethernet port and a Network Interface socket for adding additional Communication Modules.

You may possibly have never worked with the RS232 only base units and may not have realized this. ;)

EDIT: I'll 2nd Ken on the use of a card. The method you outlined would be very convoluted, even if it could work.

Also, even if the 1747-LRP did pass-thru, the NET-ENI will only pass DF1 on it's serial port. Port 1 going from the processor to the PanelView could be using DH485. Lots of potential road blocks.

G.

PV+Base_Units.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up @Geospark...
I have yet to encounter a PV+ without an Ethernet port and connecting software directly to the HMI via EtherNet/IP is a bit "laborious", however, SOP around here...Actually, since there is a lack of available, detailed information about the PanelView Plus connectivity, I think this kind of "practice" needs to be implemented and I believe Rockwell's classes/courses are heavy on exactly this type of user experience...
Removable media is an option though...I personally use it as backup only and recommend it as such since you will be introducing user depending "variables" which could corrupt (or worse) the functional .mer...FTVS is quite clunky, however, once "connected", reduces the transfer risks considerably...