1763-ML1100 lifespan?

RayK

Have a ML1100 that has been in service for 2 years just doing a simple job of controlling a pneumatic squeeze valve under a hydrosizer, now blowing a 3 amp fuse! powered from 240vac, unusually short life span?

Well, yes, that's an unusually short life span.

There are thousands of MicroLogix 1100 controllers that have been running without interruption since they were introduced in 2005. The design lifespan of all A-B controllers is 20 years.

Inductive loads without surge suppression, or input power with surges or spikes, are common reasons for premature controller failure.

Thanks for the reply Ken

Have a filter feeding the PLC a Schaffner FN2030-3-06 and the output is a solenoid coil switching via a solid state relay 24vdc. so yes thought it would outlast me!

Sounds like you've done everything you could to reduce the risk of premature failure, but it still failed.

Report the failure to your RA distributor if you get the chance; it's out of warranty, but it's very helpful to RA to get field failure rate information.

Reply from distributer!

"1763L16BWA is consumable part and cannot be repaired by Rockwell Automation.

Warranty is only valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.

We advise you to purchase new 1763L16BWA from NHP."

I expected that; it's not economical for RA to repair them. It might be for a third party who doesn't have the same requirements for warranty and liability coverage.

I have a bunch of failed POINT I/O modules facing the same issue; they're out of warranty and can't be repaired anyhow. I am going to pay for an in-depth failure analysis because I want to know why they are failing so frequently.