slc500 and ktx card

kayak1

hello all

I had to disable INTERCHANGE to run 6200plc5 with KTX card ,
now my SLC500 APS software will not connect....is there a diver for APS which would connect to dh+ trough ktx card and witout INTERCHANGE
Thanks

The only solution I ever found was to disable it llike you are doing. You can set up different Autoexec.bat files to either load Interchange or NOT to make it a little easier. Whew, I am glad those days are almost behind us.

Lancie1 said:
Whew, I am glad those days are almost behind us.

What do you mean?

10 years from now, you're going to get a phone call. Then, you're going to have to dig out that old computer you kept around "just in case," and were about to scrap in another month or so.

That's one thing that bothers me with all this technology we're using. The batteries in the PLC will last about a decade (maybe). The software (or even the hardware) will be obsolete in much less than that, usually. Certainly, you'll be running the third or fourth iteration of DOS/Windows to come along since the install... How are we supposed to support our projects?

Yes, I know: one year warranty. But, I'm talking about when the customer, who really likes you and your equipment, calls you after the age of the machine catches up. In Europe, I'm told, they have an interesting approach. Old stuff just isn't supported, buy the new stuff. Here in the states, we don't like to be told to rebuild. Especially when all-we-want-to-do is make a small change or reload the program after a PLC craps out. Do you tell your customer, "I don't use that junk anymore. Let me show you the latest and greatest, and this'll last FOREVER."?

With serial ports becoming less common on laptops, and software changing all the time, maybe the PLC manufacturers should revisit an old concept: dedicated, hand-held programmers. The video game consoles are already taking PC hardware and building it for a specific purpose. Wouldn't it be interesting if AB made its own "laptop programmer"? No more waiting for the Rockwell guys to make your software compatible with the latest version of Windows!!! The software is "fixed", as in standard.

Alright, enough ranting. I know it's just a pipe-dream. When FAT128, Windows2010, Ultra-Mega-SuperIDE, USB4.21098, or the Pentium15 comes along we'll be right back here again.

AK

Thanks for your respose guys, I hate the conflicts in AB software,
and you make great point....
I run RSlogix on that machine for plc5 and slc500 I also have panelview and GML that I have to control from T80 terminal...love using rslogix , but guys on the other shifts love old 6200 software ...and can't work without it , so I'm in trouble with them now :)...INTERCHAGE worked fine until I loaded rslogix5 and rslogix500
now 6200 is looking for staions but does not see them ...

thanks all for help

Kayak1,

You shouldnt ditch Interchange alltogether. If you can get 6200 to work with a direct driver, then you should also be able to load interchange.

Did you try to open a DOS window, and then start Interchange manually, before starting 6200 ?
If yes, did Interchange give any error messages or confirmations ?

JesperMP
thnks for advise ....I stared Interchange but did not give any error messages...when I'm trying to use it will not recognize station from WHO meniu just a bunch of ???? marks thaks