FT Historian Disk Full Tag for FTView SE?

Hal9000

Hi there,

I would like to monitor the disk-space status so that an alarm can be generated in FTView (SE)to notify the operator that the disk space on the Historian server is nearly full.

Could someone please help me get FTView to do this?

Big thanks!

And what is the "operator" going to do when the Historian server doesn't have enough hard disk left for archiving? Shut the server down or shut the place down?
Database servers are not quite maistream SCADA applications and database management requires an entirely different approach than "classic" industrial automation "procedures".
I don't believe there is any embedded Historian SE mechanism which determines how much hard drive space has been allocated for the server's archiving directory to begin with.
The original system architect and developer ensures that sufficient "room" has been provided for years of operation (ten in this neck of the woods!) and the data collection mechanisms (including archive auto-shift and data point "compression")have been configured for the most efficient operation; archives autogrowth needs to be estimated and kept under continuous scrutiny by the administrators.
In order to achieve what you are intending to do, you will most likely have to use a third party hard disk space availability utility such as http://www.manageengine.com/products/free-windows-tools/free-hard-disk-space-detector-tool.html deployed onto the Historian SE dedicated hard drive partition of the Historian server machine, however, I don't know if you will be able to automatically deploy it and acquire the "results" within a FactoryTalk SCADA system.

Many thanks for your detailed reply, this is a request from the client, not something I would choose to implement myself.