RS Logix 5.0

jcp

Hello experts;
We lost the backup files or original programme in the PLC 5/40.
i want to load the file by using rslogix 5 which run in the controller. How can i do this?

Can i create new proh=ject and then download the programme from the controller?

Regards

Hi jcp

You can create a backup from your plc 5/40 with rs 5 as you have stated but it will not have any comments but it would be a backup if the plc ever needed to be changed and you downloaded this file to your new processor it would work.

Donnchadh

I'm not 100% sure that I understand your situation – but here is some basic information that might save you some problems ...

Can i create new proh=ject and then download the programme from the controller?

first of all – be SURE that you get the transfer direction correct ... (your statement above has it backwards/wrong) ...

(A) UP-load definition ...

in Allen-Bradley systems you UP-load the program file FROM the PLC/processor/controller TO your laptop/desktop/computer ...

(B) DOWN-load definition ...

in Allen-Bradley systems you DOWN-load the program file FROM your laptop/desktop/computer TO the PLC/processor/controller ...

if you get the directions wrong, you won't have a good day ...

Last edited:
The upload-download definition is not just true for Allen Bradley. Whether it is upload or download is similar to the speed of an object and the theory of relativity: it is relative to where you are standing at the time.

If you are IN or AT or ON the Programmable Logic Controller, then a download is when you move data FROM the PLC to SOP (Some Other Place). An upload would be when you move data TO the PLC from SOP.

On the other hand if you are IN, AT, or ON a Personal Computer connected to a PLC, then a DOWNload from the PC would be an UPload to the PLC.

This is nothing new, is the same for all devices, and has always been this way. Now it is misunderstood by about 95% of users due to the invention of the Internet. Seeing those big icons that say "Download this file" makes one think that he is doing a "download" to his computer. No, he is doing a download from the unseen unknown Internet server-computer, and at the same time, an upload to his own computer.

DOWNLOAD.JPG

Last edited:
If you are confused by the terminology and concerned that you might accidentally over-write the program in the controller, turn the keyswitch to the "RUN" mode, instead of PROG or REM.

If the Keyswitch is in RUN mode, you cannot over-write the program in the controller.

You can still "upload" the program from the PLC-5 controller to your PC software.

Illustration of RUN mode:

m_s_p_19782_1.jpg

Hi Jcp

I second what Ken has said , a very simple idea but you can NOT lose your program this way.
Ken great simple way to show the differance between uoload and down load, I am going to use that one d=from now on when I am trying to explain the differance.

Donnchadh

The RSLogix programs are written as if the user is at the computer where the software is running, not from the view at the PLC. Then the direction of data flow makes sense. Other software is written relative to the PLC, as if the user is there instead. The viewpoint makes all the difference between up and down.
Upload/Download
From the Comms menu, click Download to download the current offline program into the controller. Logix 5 asks if you want to go online. Click yes to go online; then select the operating mode via the Comms menu, by clicking Mode.

Also, from the Comms menu, you can click Upload to upload the current controller project into your computer memory.
Rockwell Software Inc

Last edited:
Ok, since this is a discussion about upload/download terminology, I have a question.

On our test PLC (5000), I added a VFD, and 5000 gave me an error something like: there are differences between the VFD and program data. Do you want to upload or download? And that's it. I had no idea if it meant from vfd to plc or plc to vfd. Luckily it's a test bench so the settings weren't important. I still have no idea which way it went.

Hi temper

I guess its device net and if so it means
The device net file more the settings for that drive in you d net file does not match the settings in the drive.
So

do you want to DOWNLOAD the settings in your d net file to the drive or do
you want to UPLOAD the settings from the drive to your d net file on your pc.

Only you can decide what you want to do, as its a test bench why not upload
and save the file as a different name. Open the old file again and then upload.
You will see the difference in the drive settings if you open both.

But this could be a ll Bull sh** if its not device net.

Donnchadh

I had no idea if it meant from vfd to plc or plc to vfd.
I think neither one. RSLogix5000 is written from the viewpoint of the device that it runs on - your computer. It was asking if you wanted to upload data TO your computer, or download data FROM your computer.