Is there an easy way...(Tags in RSLogix 500)

brstilson

Working on a project right now where I'm adding some rungs to an existing program. I'm using tags because the I/O is all over the place, but something is bugging me and it has for a while.

Let's say I make a nice, fairly complex rung. Everything has a tag name. If I want to copy that rung to another part of the program (copying from machine #1 to machine #2, and so on), I can't just type in new tag names, because it will attempt to assign those tag names to the address, and fail because the tag name is already being used. I have to clear out the whole address and re-do it, which I usually end up doing but if there is an easier way to do this, I'd love to know.

I thought I had 500 installed and when I browsed to my program folder to check something, I realized I only have Logix 5 and 5000!

In any case, it has been a while since I used Logix 500, however have you tried this:

1. Exporting the tag / symbol / comments database to a CSV file (or other format).

2. Copy / Paste said logic for Machine 1 to Machine 2.

3. Edit the database file you exported to update the appropriate tags to their respective address.

4. Import this into the active project on Machine 2 and update the tags.

Alternatively:

1. Paste logic from Machine 1 to Machine 2 with the tags.

2. Export database / tags / comments from Machine 2.

3. Edit the Machine 2 database as needed.

4. Re-import data.

Advantage to this is you could maybe make a macro to automate this if you had to do it enough times.

Just a few thoughts but seeing as it has been a while I would be completely off base. I mainly use Logix 5000 now and typically work on developing new applications as opposed to retrofitting.

Kris

PS: The attached photo is what I've used in the past in Logix 5:

documentation export.JPG

Last edited:
When you say tags, I assume you mean symbols and descriptions since you're working in 500, not 5000. It matters where you click on the instruction before you start typing.

Suppose you have an instruction with an address and symbol already assigned. If you click on the SYMBOL and type another name, it will attempt to assign that symbol name to the existing address (unless the new name is already assigned, in which case you'll get an error). If you click on the ADDRESS and type another name, it will change the address on the instruction to the one defined by the symbol you typed. If the new name doesn't have an address assigned, no address will be shown and the rung will not compile.

When you say tags, I assume you mean symbols and descriptions since you're working in 500, not 5000. It matters where you click on the instruction before you start typing.

Suppose you have an instruction with an address and symbol already assigned. If you click on the SYMBOL and type another name, it will attempt to assign that symbol name to the existing address (unless the new name is already assigned, in which case you'll get an error). If you click on the ADDRESS and type another name, it will change the address on the instruction to the one defined by the symbol you typed. If the new name doesn't have an address assigned, no address will be shown and the rung will not compile.

That is what I was looking for. Thanks!