MicroLogix 1100 Self Trainer

RandallHamm

I am currently in Afghanistan wanting to build a MicroLogix 1100 trainer that can do all the material covered in the PLC Tutor books purchased on this site. I have a Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100 1763-L16AWA, a 1762-CBL-PM02 serial cable and can get my hands on as much CAT 5e wire as I need. That is about it for resources here.

My research time and knowledge is limited so I am hoping some folks here may be able to assist. What else do I need to make a trainer? How many do I need? I look at websites with trainers that have switches and lamps but I do not know which ones I need or could even use. Basically, can I get a parts list and suggestions of websites to get the stuff at?

I have a Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100 1763-L16AWA, a 1762-CBL-PM02 serial cable

so it sounds like you've already got the processor and the cable ... have you also downloaded the free RSLogix500 software – and the RSLinx software - and got them both running on your computer? ... have you been able to write a "bare-bones-just-getting-started" program and download it to the processor yet? ... if I understand your situation, that would be the next logical step ... basic idea: get the PLC talking/communicating with the programming computer FIRST – then go on from there ...

I've shown a simple "getting started" program below ... you should be able to try this one out even without having a "trainer" to work with ... get this entered into your processor and go to the Run mode ... you should be able to navigate the little LCD display on the front of the processor until you get to the bit address B3/0 (also known as B3:0/0) ... turning that bit on or off should control the flashing action of your system's first output ...

this is nothing earth-shaking – but it makes a good first step to let you know that everything is connected – and powered up correctly ...

stay safe ...

getting_started.PNG

If you Right click on your instruction, a dialog box will pop up.
The last line is Toggle Bit.
A quick and easy way to turn the bit on and off.
Good luck!

RightClick.png

Looking at the MicroLogix 1100 User Manual, page 14, your 1763-L16AWA has 10 digital 120 volt AC inputs, 6 isolated relay outputs, and 2 analog 0-10 VDC analog inputs.

For training input devices, you could use up to 10 on/off switches, prox switches, photoswitches, or any combination; all rated for 120 volts AC. For your relay outputs, you could use almost any type of device as long as it does not use more than 3 amps at 120 volts, or about 360 watts. Some 40-watt incandescent bulbs might be easy to find, or for lower power usage and less heat, 120 volt neon or LED lamps would work for your trainer. Also any type of solenoid or solenoid-operated valve could be used on your trainer outputs as long as it requires less than 360 watts at 120 volts.

To use the 0-10 VDC analog inputs, you would need a 10 or 12 VDC power supply, and maybe a potentiometer and a couple of resistors to reduce the max input voltage to 10 volts, and to vary the voltage from 0 to 10 for your 2 analog inputs.

Last edited:
Where did you get your RSLinx? You could have a bogus copy. Here is the offical Allen Bradley site to download the free RSLinx Lite version 2.57. There are other sites. It is a 365 MEGAbyte program, so may take a couple of hours to get, depending on your Internet connection speed. Your connection could have a maximum time for each upload to your computer, and may be stopping before getting the entire program.

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

Last edited:
you shouldn't need the EMULATOR software – since you have an actual processor to work/play/experiment with ...

I know that I've had trouble downloading LARGE files from time to time – so I can only imagine how tricky this would be over there where you're located ...

suggestion:

if all else fails, maybe someone state-side could download the files – and then send them to you on a memory-stick or DVD ... I've never tried that with the free downloads – but maybe that approach would help ...

to geniusintraining:

Mark, you got any ideas? ...

three downloads all corrupt.
The original files are not corrupt. The copy that you are getting could very well be corrupt, due to your military Internet connection, and its speed and its maximum allowed file size and maximum allowed download time.

Someone with a high-speed Internet connection could download the free RSLinxLite file, and also get a free copy of Axman File Splitter from http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/File_Splitting_Utilities/AxMan.html

then split the RSLinx installation file into about thirty six 1 Mbyte parts (assuming that RandallHamm's link will upload 1 Mbytes before crapping out), then send those to a Dropbox.com Public folder, then send the link to that public folder to a post in this thread.

RandallHamm, to retrieve the RSLinx file segments on your end, you would need to get a free copy of Axman File Splitter, and patch the 36 parts back together.

EDIT: I started the process, and split the RSLinx EXE file into 36 parts, but Dropbox.com has (up until now) only uploaded 1 of the 36 segments, and is working now on only the 2nd one. At this rate, it would take 2 days to get the file pieces into Dropbox due to my slow DSL connection.

EDIT 2: Dropbox is now down to 32 files left to upload. If it ever finishes sometime tomorrow, I will post a link to my Public folder so that anyone can download the RSLinx files.

Last edited:
Whoever wants the link to the Dropbox files, send me a Private Message and I will Email you the Internet link to access my DropBox RSLinxLite folder with the copy of the free version of the program.

My four day respite turned into a two-dayer as I had to go take care of an emergency yesterday and just got back. That gives me two days to clean gear and clothes and get equipment and tools ready for next tour. On a good note, my buddy, Brian, at the office was finally able to download the files and get them to install on a demo laptop. Now I just need to copy to my laptop and steal some time to start playing with it.
Thanks for all your support!