RsLogix 5000 Generic Ethernet Module Error

Andy6

Hi guys,

I'm trying to talk to some Eaton SVX9000 VFDs with OPTCQ Ethernet cards. The Generic Ethernet Modules seem to be configured properly. But I'm running into something I've never seen before working with the generic modules. I'm getting a electronic keying mismatch error.
I'm kinda stuck:confused:

I know this one !

At some point during the creation of the module, there was an error or mis-setting, and the Electronic Keying attribute for the module inadvertently got set. It should not have been set, but it's not user-accessible so you're stuck.

The easy workaround is to delete the Generic Ethernet Module object and create a new one.

Be sure you write down all the settings before deleting the Generic Module object. I'm not sure what sort of mis-step caused the corruption: it may simply have been changing the Assembly numbers or changing the Data Type after creation.

Hmm. Really strange goings on. I removed all the Generic Ethernet Modules. Added new ones. Result = Connection timed out. I removed the EDS file for the Ethernet card on the drives (Wasn't really needed anyway) Still, Connection Timed out.
I power cycled everything, PLC, drives, network switch, laptop, disconnected everything from the switch besides the PLC, one drive, and laptop. Loaded a blank program with the one drive configured. Connection timed out. (Mind you with all these "time outs" I can still ping the drives and see them in Linx)
Put the original program back in, remade one generic Enet module. The one I just remade works?!? I make another one, identical to the last besides IP address. Connection timed out.
I copy-paste the module, change IP, this one also works!?!

Something screwy is going on here. Has anybody had similar problems with the new(er) ER Compactlogix line? The one I have here is a 1769-L33ER running 20.12 firmware.

Hmm. I could explain the keying issue, but not the connection timeouts. Ordinary 0x00204 error codes, if that's what you are getting, suggest that the Eaton interface is just not responding to any connection request.

One of my favorite diagnostic tools for CIP connectivity is TCPing; you can TCPING 44818 and see if the Eaton device is really listening on the CIP protocol port.

You are correct that the EDS file for the drive has nothing to do with the Generic Ethernet Module or the ability of the controller to connect to the module.

I removed the EDS because I thought there might be a possibility that it was recognizing the Eaton Ethernet card, comparing it to the Generic Enet Module, and realizing there wasn't a match.

Thanks for the info Ken