GE 90-30 Instructions

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a swell friday!!

I have a GE 90-30 PLC CPU is a IC693CPU364

Their is an Instructions call a BLKMOV INT and a COMM REQ. I am trying to get the manual for these instructions and if anyone can provide that i would appreciate it. The F1 help file doesn't help much, so if their is manual for this please send it my way thanks.

Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a swell friday!!

I have a GE 90-30 PLC CPU is a IC693CPU364

Their is an Instructions call a BLKMOV INT and a COMM REQ. I am trying to get the manual for these instructions and if anyone can provide that i would appreciate it. The F1 help file doesn't help much, so if their is manual for this please send it my way thanks.

I would start here;

http://support.ge-ip.com/support/index?page=prodhome&locale=en-US&cat=SERIES9030

You might have to sign up to get some documents.

Stu....

Blk_Move is pretty simple. It copies 7 constants to 7 consecutive %R memory addresses.

The COMM_REQ instruction is used to communicate with smart modules. You'll find the information about setting it up in the individual manuals for each smart module.

Earlier this year, I added a high-speed counter card to a 90-30, and had to use both of those instructions to zero the accumulator. As Steve said, the BLK_MOV simply moves values into a set of registers, and the COMM_REQ sends them off to the module.

Here's the thread where Steve and Russ saved the day for me... :site:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=76842

In the PDF I posted, you can see how the two BLK_MOV instructions load values into %R211 through %R224 (Seven registers each). Then the COMM_REQ sends those values to the module, based on the location of the module in the system. Take special note of how racks and slots are numbered! (see post #14)

🍻

-Eric

Thanks guys, I figured that's what it does however I'm currently making edits to an existing applications and the blk mov's are seem to have a meaning behind the 7 parameters you specifiy. In my case it looks like %R registers are sent out to two 90-30 plc's and one to make it even clearer the in the 7 parameter setting for the blk move it looks like you can reference an IP address of the destination plcs. Sorry for any typos I'm doing this on my phone

I'm guessing the COMM_REQ is pointing to an Ethernet module? On page 3-14 (PDF page 47) in THIS PDF, it shows that the IP address is in words 20-23.

Like Steve said, you'll want to get the manuals for the individual modules in your rack(s). I remember the first time I purchased a GE PLC, I ordered the 'documentation package'. A 50 pound box arrived with a few dozen manuals in it! PDFs are a lot lighter... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric

Thanks Eric, just what i needed. These instructions again are specific to the module in your rack, atleast the PDF can give me a rough idea of how its used. Thanks once again.

If you can post the ladder logic and tell me the part number(s) of the modules involved I can probably decode it for you. If there are two 90--30 PLCs, it could be setting up a communications channel between them. If that is the case you will probably want to know what data is being sent over the channel.

The "SYSID" node of the COMMREQ instruction identifies the rack and slot location of the module to which it is directed.

@ Steve their are 3 PLC's call them PLC A,B & C. PLC A has the analog data %AI registers for raw 4000-20000 ma signals, their is one move instruction that moves data from the %AI registers to %R registers with an array size of 117, so basically moving 117 elements of %AI data to the corresping %R registers. So that data is sent out to two PLC which are PlC B and C thats where the COMM REQ's come in. In the logic for PLC A their are 2 COMM Requests which pertain to the data that is to be sent to the B & C PLC's.

Now take this example Say from PLC A, %R03297 is a value that corresponds to the a 4-20 ma signal. The BLK moves and the comm request sends this %R03297 data to both PLC B & C lets refer to them as the destination PLC's. Now when i looked in the logic for PLC B & C i don't see any COMM request instructions, however i do see that %R03297 address used in the logic accordingly.

So my question is, once the BLK MOV and COMM REQ's are set up in the Host PLC, is the data simply transferred to the corresping smart modules in the destination plc? so that way all one has to do is create that same register and the data will just come in??

Steve sorry i cant post the logic customers policy. However i can tell you that the PLC A (host PLC) has a IC693BEM331 Genius bus control where you setup your SBA configuration. Both PLC B and PLC C (Destination PLC's) also have that IC693BEM331 genius bus controls. Also this is an existing working system, im just trying to understand how the COMM REQ's with the BLK moves operate.

So my question is, once the BLK MOV and COMM REQ's are set up in the Host PLC, is the data simply transferred to the corresping smart modules in the destination plc? so that way all one has to do is create that same register and the data will just come in??
Steve will have a definitive answer, but it looks to me like you specify, in Word 16, where it starts writing to. If I were writing this program, I would probably choose to write to the identical registers in the remote PLC, just to avoid confusion.

The attachment is from page 3-18 (PDF page 51) of the PDF I linked earlier.

🍻

-Eric

clipboard01.jpg

If your customer won't let you post the logic, ask him if its OK to send it to me privately. If so, contact me via PM on this sit and I'll give you my email address.

Generally, data exchanged using the BEM331 modules is set up in hardware configuration rather than in ladder logic.

@ steve yea the guy is an Arse, gave me a whole lecture about breaching security, and how an earlier contractor had caused problem, but on a positive note, i was able to make good sense of it with the manual you provided and Erics help. Like you mentioned the BEM331 modules are configured in the hardware config, their is an Global data tab once you go into the BEM331's properties, and their the SBA# is what will be the smart module bus number.

My only confusion was that in the destination PLC's i was expecting some kind of Read instructions that was going to read the analog data coming from the COMM REQ's writes from the HOST PLC, because the host PLC is indeed sending over ethernet TCP/IP because i see the IP addresses in the BLK MOV's in the Host PC pointing to both destination PLC's

both the destination PLC as i have stated before have the BEM331 in their rack. However in the Logic, no COMM REQ's and no BLK MOV's have been programmed, however the % R registers that are mapped from the HOST PLC which has the COMM REQ and the BLK moves, the %R registers exist in the destination PLC's. So what i can't grasp is how that is happening when their is no type of way to read the data in the destination PLC's.

To clarify even further in the Host PLC the Two COMM req are already setup with a Task ID of 1 and a SYSID of 21, the SYSID refers to the rack and slot location, which points to the BEM331 bus controller. Now when you go into either of the destination PLC's the BEM331 module in the hardware config is there with the config setup however no COMM REQ's in the logic. Since this is an already working system which i'am making adjustments to, i guess in the HOST PLC once the BLK moves in conjunction with the COMM REQ is setup for the destination PLC, the R register data automatically transfers to the destination PLC's, thats maybe why i don't see any COMM REQ's in the destination PLC's

When I connect an HMI to a PLC, I rarely have to add any logic the PLC. The HMI simply reads and writes directly to the registers. My guess is that your 'host' PLC is doing essentially the same thing?... :confused:

🍻

-Eric