Writing to a STRING in Logix5571

SeanRewards

Hi,
I'm trying to write from an external application to a UDT of type STRING in the Logix5571.
I get general error 0xFF and Extended Error 0x2107: Tag type used n request does not match the target tag’s data type.

Any ideas? Please help. No problem writing to other data types.

Welcome to the Forum !

I'm not familiar with all the datatypes at a low level, but my first question is: Is this a single default ControlLogix STRING datatype, a custom ControlLogix STRING datatype, or a UDT that contains a STRING datatype as one of its elements ?

I know that in controller-to-controller communications, the UDT datatypes are critical; you must have identical datatypes on both sides.

For example, you can't create a UDT with a DINT called LEN and a SINT[82] called DATA and treat it like a STRING, even though the subelements are the same size and name.

Welcome to the Forum !

I'm not familiar with all the datatypes at a low level, but my first question is: Is this a single default ControlLogix STRING datatype, a custom ControlLogix STRING datatype, or a UDT that contains a STRING datatype as one of its elements ?

I know that in controller-to-controller communications, the UDT datatypes are critical; you must have identical datatypes on both sides.

For example, you can't create a UDT with a DINT called LEN and a SINT[82] called DATA and treat it like a STRING, even though the subelements are the same size and name.
Thanks.
I've created a UDT with an element of type STRING and referring to it like 'Tag.Element' and attempting to write a STRING value.

Can you write to an ordinary Tag of STRING datatype, that isn't part of a UDT ?

Are the other tags you are successfully writing to standalone tags, or part of a UDT as well ?

I'm not a driver developer and probably won't be able to help on this.