Logix task monitor for 1756-L71S

MNMark

Good day to all! I came across an interesting problem yesterday and cannot seem to resolve it, so I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the situation. I have a 1756-L71S, safety PLC in a deployment completed by a third party. I was trying to get an idea of utilization, task execution, and comms usage so I wanted to run Logix task monitor. The problem is, I am unable to select the processor to start the task monitor. I am running v3.0.6 of task monitor, and release notes say that it supports the L71s. I can browse to the chassis where the L71s is, I select the processor, but the select button to start the task monitor stays greyed out. I have never seen anything like this, I have never had a problem running task monitor before. However, I have not had much experience with the safety processors, so I am wondering if its an issue with that.

Can you not use task monitor on a safety processor? All my searches in the KB and a call to my local distributor have turned up nothing to this point. My distributor started a case with AB Tech, but that hasn't turned up anything yet either. Does anyone have a thought? Thanks!

I have not used a L71S, but have used L63S and was able to use the task monitor tool. I was using the same version as you.
Could it be you are missing the EDS file for the CPU?
How does the processor show up in RSLinx?

Thanks for the reply. I was missing the EDS file at first, but I fixed that problem right away in RSLinx. The processor shows up correct in RSLinx. I am able to go online with the controller in Logix 5000 as well. I am just not able to get task monitor to work. I cannot seem to figure out what the issue is. Tech got back in touch and blamed it on not using the correct version of task monitor (they said I had to be on 3.0.5 or later). I had to tell them again that I had tried both 3.0.5 and 3.0.6. Haven't heard back from them since.

Any ideas??

I just browse through my Ethernet interface to the CPU and press start.
As I mentioned I don't have access to a L71S, so I cannot try it out for you. Perhaps there is someone out there with one who is willing to try it?

Thanks to all for the replies. I am still waiting to hear from AB Tech. They have pushed the case to a product engineer. Apparently they were able to re-create the problem and said that it appears isolated to the L71s. I'll update if I ever hear a resolution.

New configuration file for Taks Monitor 3.0.6 was released today to correct L71S issue
See Technote 5737 for details

You beat me to it... I heard back this morning from Tech and they referenced the Technote 51737. I got the file, but haven't tried it yet... hopefully this resolves it!

I did not try this change bacause I don't have L71S, I have one on order.

I missed one digit in my post, correct Technote number is 51737.

XML File

Look for the XML file that is installed with the software as it contains a running list of processors. Use RSLinx to obtain the required information and add to the XML file for your processor.

When I wrote the tool I used XML style sheets to allow this functionality as new processors come out. If the software cannot find the Product Type, Product Code, Vendor ID in the XML sheet, the OK button will be grayed out.