Logic Flow / Diagram Documentation Software?

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm wondering if anyone has encountered some decent software out there for documenting logic flow, particularly for control systems.

Preferably, something that would lend itself to documenting state logic. I've been trying to find something that will let me draw a GRAFCET type diagram (Sequential Flow Chart) but haven't been able to find anything.

I can use Visio if I need to, but it really doesn't lend itself well to control documentation.

I'm willing to pay but a free program is always nice.

Thanks!

Preferably, something that would lend itself to documenting state logic. I've been trying to find something that will let me draw a GRAFCET type diagram (Sequential Flow Chart) but haven't been able to find anything.

We use Excel, works great and with VBA highly customizable to our needs.

Thanks Paully.

I ideally I am looking for something more visual, I guess to be able to actually build the diagram (clicking / dragging objects) and being able to add comments to each State and Transition criteria.

I've been able to find some professional software out there but they are really for corporate environments (meaning big $$$).

Thanks for the suggestion gentlemen! I think this is exactly what I needed.

I actually just snagged both and installed. I'll probably end up using both of them for different diagramming purposes.

Appreciate the help.

why not use codesys for SFC it is great and it works on many PLC types and in simulation so you write and control the program.
and yes dia is simple and cheap, diagram designer and smartdraw

as i use open office (free office kloon) i use draw with some extras.

Shooter, thanks for the info. Which Codesys product is this? I looked on their website but a little confused.

Thanks Paully.

I ideally I am looking for something more visual, I guess to be able to actually build the diagram (clicking / dragging objects) and being able to add comments to each State and Transition criteria.

I've been able to find some professional software out there but they are really for corporate environments (meaning big $$$).

I can understand your desire for objects and software tailored to your needs, however a tool like Excel is universal (well assuming everyone in the business world has office). This means the document can be edited, and provided to a diverse group of users. Colleges, third-party developers and ultimately the end user.

But if you are new to the concept, a dedicated tool is a good starting point.

download the demo of codesys version 2 as it is easier to setup.
it will function just fine for what you need.
they will ask name etc, just give it.