SMC-3 or SMC Flex

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
For a 50 HP water pumping application I will be replacing a mechancal soft start with a solid state model. Both the AB SMC-3 and the SMC Flex will work here.

I always like the option to configure every paramater of a control device, just in case, but in reality how much configuration will I ever need for this application?

Will a couple drive gurus weigh-in on this? the Flex is about double the price. Is there enough real world advantage to a Flex?

You can monitor phase current and have alarms when you are in a trip window before the unit trips and other things like that with the Flex connected to you PLC over a network.

The SMC 50 is the newest one I think but the last I purchased seems like the 50 pricing was cheaper than the flex and about the same options line up.