Kepserver Enterprise and GeFanuc

krakenfan69

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys, hope everyone had a great long weekend. ( for those who celebrate it. ) I need a little assistance with Kepserver Enterprise if anyone can help. I have taken the GE training but haven't had a chance to work on a GE platform. I have an HMI running FTView Studio SE connecting to an AB SLC 5/05 and a GE Fanuc 90-30. I added some logic in the Fanuc for a pid to control a recycle valve based off of the level in a tank. I added a new int address for the setpoint R00299 that (to the best of my knowledge) did not exist in the program before. Now I have the logic downloaded and can enter a value in the logic but I cannot read/write to this address from the HMI.
Enter Kepserver...I copied the setup for my pid off of another existing pid loop based off the same tank level for a control valve. The sp address I copied is NOT listed in the Kepserver Enterprise driver, nor is the new one I have just created. The old one works fine and values can be changed on screen but the new one cannot be displayed or changed from the screen in the numeric input faceplace I am using. (which was copied form the working model.)

Questions:
1) Do I have to manually add the new address R00299 to the Kepserver driver for it to be able to see/read/write to that address in the PLC?

2) Is there any way to "test" whether the address is being read by the driver? I did something lieke this (can't recall how) with tech support and the address came back with no value but listed it as "Good" ???

3) What am I missing and is there a users guide I can't seem to find for this somewhere?

Thanks for any help guys,

Kraken Fan #69

1. You won't have to manually add the tag name for R299 in Kepserver for your HMI to read the tag, but if you want to test that Kepserver can read the address you will have to create a static tag.
2. After creating the static tag (assuming you've configured a channel & device ), click on the Tools menu and Launce OPC Quick Client. You'll see the tag you created under Channel1.Device1 (or whatever you named it) along with it's value, timestamp, etc.
3. I've always found the Help menu to have all the topics and info necessary. It's broken up in to server help and driver help, so it's specific to whatever driver you are using.

Obviously, you have to add Kepserver to your FTView project as an OPC server for this to work.

Hmm. That matches what I was told from KepWare support. I did create a static tag as you said and received no value (other than 0 when I forced a value of 4000 to the tag in Proficy) but it did come back with status of "good". Perhaps I didn't really force the value as I thought although it does show that value in the logic...It just keeps getting better.

Thanks for your help FluxCap.

There is a checkbox when you create a device that will allow Kepware to simulate it. Could that be an issue? Also, when you have the OPC Quick Client running, if you right click on the static tag you created, there should be the option for Synchronous Write. That should open a dialog that lets you write to the PLC. Another option checking communication...

I was able to get it to work after creating a static tag for the address. Kepware wouldn't help me as it is an Allen Bradley product and Allen Bradley doesn't know a thing about it. I was on hold getting transferred for about 45 min and in the meantime I managed to get it to work.

Thanks for the help!