New Garage

Jonny Rev

I've just built my dream garage, and I was wondering if anyone knows about a good PLC system to use for home security, and/or other fun little gadgets to horse around with!! I plan on starting a small business inside and I figured all that cool stuff could go towards a nice tax write off,, and since I'm married, I'll probably be spending quite some time out there. :mad:

Jonny,

You can spend as little as $350.00 on a good little powerfull PLC and programming software combined. The DL-06 from Automation Direct is packed with commands, features, and memory that far surpasses much more expensive units. The software is much easer to lean then most other brands. The only drawback is that the manual, and programming cables will cost extra (about $50.00 combined). So for about $400.00 you can get everything you need to get started.

Check out this link: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_06/PLC_Units

Have fun!

Mike.

I already purchase some AD HMI and Mike's persistence will soon convince me to do the same for them PLCs.

Ask to your Allen-Bradley Distributor about their Starter Kits. They come bundled with processor, software, cables & labs. The MicroLogix Series is a good starting place. The 1200 is expandable. The 1500 has a Data Access Module that I really like. Check them out.

And the Automation Direct Manuals are all free for downloading. I have most of them saved on my laptop so that I will have all my references when I am at a customer's site.

Allen Bradley

I was thinkin' bout' lookin' into the Allen Bradley's because we have all the software at work to run it. So that would help to save a little money also!! Not that money is any object,,,, It's a garage for gosh sakes,,,, It's a man's state of mind. It's almost the only place we can do whatever we want, and the wife can't say nothing about it!!!! (usually)
The garage, is a decent sized 50ft wide and 30ft deep 3 car garage and 25x30 foot work space!! It has a bathroom and a car hoist, along with several machinery tools.... Imagine all the stuff I could run with PLC's!!!

Last edited:
Eddie,

As a mater of fact I do have some expierance with making an alarm system, and partally automating my garage. I used a Micro 1 because we had a few sitting around at work and stopped using them so I took a couple home and liinked them togeather for more I/O. I bought motion detectors from Radio Shack for in the garage, and a switch on the ovhead, and side doors. Opening one of the doors would turn on the lights, and compleate a circuit to the t-stat and air compressor. The motion detectors would keep reseting a timer to keep everything going. If I were gone for about 15 minutes(999 seconds), the alarm would set it's self. I had a keypad in the house to set-rst the alarm system, or warm up the garage.

I placed high brightness leds in the overhangs (garage & house) that would flash if the alarm was tripped, or would stay on steady if the alarm system was set. They were so obivious that everybody driving by would see that I had an alarm system. This turnd out to be the biggest factor of all. One weekend when I went hunting, someone went into the garages on both sides of me and ripped off lawnmowers, and a power washer etc.. My garage, and house were untouched. What really suppriesed me is that my lawnmower was in a unlocked/unalarmed shed and they didnt even bother with that.

I no longer have a dream garage because I got married, and moved to a house with an attached garage which is now filled with bicycles, bigwheels, peddle cars, a big red Contenntal etc.. My wife and kids now have a dream garage ad now I'm SOL.

Re: Allen Bradley

Jonny Rev said:
...a decent sized 50ft wide and 30ft deep 3 car garage and 25x30 foot work space!! It has a bathroom and a car hoist, along with several machinery tools.... Imagine all the stuff I could run with PLC's!!!

Wow! I'm not allways home but if I got one like this my kids would start calling me uncle Pierre.

Jonny,
From the description of your garage, for a chance to move in, I will gladly donate some old AB, Modicon and Mitsubishi...and the software to run them. Just leave driving directions, I will be loaded up by morning.
Waggs

Due to economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

HA HA HA HA

Waggs,,,
Yes, I'm very proud of my garage,, and I have plenty of friends come over for a brew or two,,,, or three maybe sometimes * smile * so I don't mind company,,, but a move in might not make the wife to happy!!! But,, the DONATION!!!! how about I give you my company's address and you can send that stuff there... LOL

adding on a garage

How much money would it cost to add on a 2 car garage 24' by 24'?