Simulating function block programs

ksoundar

Hi,

I am a Mech&Manufacturing engineering student. I am working on developing a function block diagram program for the supervisory control of an automated saw thats being designed and built in my department. I would like to just test my function block diagram program using simulation to make sure the program serves its purpose as I dont have the prototype of the saw ready yet. I am looking for software that would allow me to do this. I looked at RSLOGIX5000 and it looks like this package allows me to simulate. But i am still shopping around for any less expensive software out there that is comprehensive (with proper online help/turotials and fully functional program development environment) and allow for simulation.
Please suggest some alternatives.

thanks
Karthik

Hi Karthik,

there is something called RSTeststand, but it is very expensive as far as I have heard.

What I do, is to make IO simulation inside the program. You can make it very lifelike with just a little effort. You can also provoke alarms to see if the program can catch and react properly to them.
The easiest is to put the program with simulation in a spare CPU. There are also some program emulators for RSLogix, but the major drawback with these is that they do not allow online editing.

(Siemens has a program emulator that does allow online editing, but maybe you are allready settled on an AB product).