DosBox .72 and ICOM

zJaybird

Hey thank for looking. My current situation is this, I have some old Allen Bradley PLC's in use (model 1774). Unfortunately, since they have been very dependable management will offer zero funds for upgrades. I have an older laptop with windows xp on it. I have tried using DosBox and can get the ICOM program to work on it, my problem is I cannot communicate with the processor through the RS-232 (Com1) port on the laptop. I have closed rslinx and made sure no other software is using the port. I am trying to communicate with these PLCs so I can monitor points when there are faults. Any ideas?
I understand that this is an old PLC and we would be smart to upgrade, but with some companies, upgrading is only an option when you can no longer keep the equipment running, which means lost income. I work for that company, I have been slowly upgrading older PLC's to Control logix but only when they have cost the company money in downtime and I cannot fix with spare parts.;)

Thanks again, I know one of you has an answer

Last edited:
Wow! A 1774 still in use!
I haven't seen one in use for a donkey's age!

I don't remember the 1774 communications as being RS-232, maybe current loop? Do you have an adapter between the computer and the 1774?

I've never seen a 1774, so I did some research. Found some info here. Sounds like RS232 is not an option.
Wonder what driver you use with RS Linx?
Edit: RS232 is possible with a 1774-CH cable. Pinout on page 20 here.
The good old days
colgate.gif

I grew up on the 1774 PLC with both 1778 & 1771 I/O.
Most people at AB do not even know about the 1774.

We had about 15 PLCs at our facility.
We upgraded our last original PLC in 2001.
So my memory is probably faded.

OK. The only way the PLC will talk DH is with a datahiway card.
Notice I said datahiway and not dataway plus.

You could only program the PLC via a terminal (blue goose or 1770-T1)
And could only save the program via a star link tape recorder through the terminal

Last edited:
A little OT. I know you realize this, but if this is the true attitude of your management, the company is in trouble. A case of penny-wise and pound foolish. Banking your companies success on 20 year old obsolete equipment is just dumb.

I know I know

The company is a Fortune 500 company. Here is a tid bit for some of the seasoned members, we still have a piece of equipment that is run by NORPAK. If you have never heard of NORPAK you are lucky. The PLC's have been bulletproof so therefore it is out of site, out of mind with the bean-counters.

I have a CRT I can do most all work in them with but you can only see one line of logix at a time. The ICOM software will allow you to see multiple lines at a time which is nice. I can get the ICOM software to work on a Gateway 133mhz laptop (running window 3.1) I bought on a garage sale but would like to move away from it and use DosBox. We only have 4 more 1774 PLCS in use with the other 20 being Control logix......so we are moving into the 1990s HA

I was hoping that somebody somewhere might have been in my shoes and tried DosBox in this application.

You can interface with a 1774-TC card. You can find the pin out of the 25 pin connector on line and convert it to a 9pin RS-232 and make it work. Just not on a somewhat new laptop. That cable will then connect to a 1774-TB2 interface board

I'd find out if your distributor has an old terminal and tape deck laying around that you could rent/borrow. If I remember right that's the only way to program it.

It is possible...

As long as you can get the cable made that will communicate, DosBox will work. I used to carry an extra laptop just to do the DOS stuff, until I found DOSBox. I now use my XP SP2 quad core 3GHz machine for everything from 1774 to slc100 to TI to OLD Toshiba stuff. Configured properly, it works with no issue.

As long as you can get the cable made that will communicate, DosBox will work. I used to carry an extra laptop just to do the DOS stuff, until I found DOSBox. I now use my XP SP2 quad core 3GHz machine for everything from 1774 to slc100 to TI to OLD Toshiba stuff. Configured properly, it works with no issue.

Hey, having a problem with the com 1 port, other than that Dosbox is great...any ideas? Thanks jay

Got It

Hey, having a problem with the com 1 port, other than that Dosbox is great...any ideas? Thanks jay

Thanks to you all...Got DosBox to work great....so now I have a PC that can communicate with any PLC we have in the plant....2 more years and we will be all control logixs and looking for the next best PLC out there.