RsLogix issues

Bateman87

Hello all,

I bought a laptop a few months ago and downloaded RsLinx and RsLogix500. Up until a few weeks ago I have had no issues connecting to any A-B plcs. Then suddenly I am having to fight with it to work, and now it will not find anything. I have been on the phone with Rockwell/let them control my computer for over ten hours now and they still have not been able to help me fix the problem.
I have a test stand set up and I am trying to connect to a SLC5/05 using a cross over cable. My boss says that it should work but I have not had any luck so far. I have read many forums about trying to connect to a SLC5 but I am not very computer literate and am very confused to all that was said to be done.

If anyone knows how to fix a port conflict problem with RSlinx so that I may use the serial port again, and help me with connecting to the SLC5 using a cross-over, I'd be forever in your debt. This laptop is may soon have to grow wings if it wants to survive.

It's possible that your laptop serial port has been damaged, and there is nothing you can do in software to make it work better. Just keep that in mind.

Did you install any software or configure anything unusual "a few weeks ago" when the port stopped working ?

The four most notorious "port conflict" software issues are RSLinx Classic's 1747-PIC driver, RSLinx Enterprise's background DF1 driver, Windows XP SP3, and Microsoft ActiveSync.

The term "Cross over cable" usually refers to an Ethernet patch cable.

Are you using Ethernet, or RS-232 ?

There are Forum members who connect to A-B controllers every single day and will almost certainly be able to help if you can provide details.

Describe in detail the physical connection, the names or types of cables you are using, the RSLinx configuration, and any error messages that you see.

The serial port is one of those removable ones that plug into the side of the computer.
I didn't download or change anything on the computer to my knowledge. The Rockwell people went on here and deleted and changed things a few times and I have no idea what.

The "port conflict" issue is never ending. I have deleted the driver and have done all that Rockwell has told me to do but when every time I start a new RS-232 Driver, it automatically tells me I have a port conflict.

I am using a Cat5E cable at the moment.

Thanks for the followup ! I'm going to ask for another round of details.

Take that plug-in card out and post the exact make and model number so we know what it is for certain.

Next, let's understand the difference between RS-232 and Ethernet. Just go onto Wikipedia and read the basic articles for each.

The Channel 0 serial port on your SLC-5/05 is an RS-232 port. It's the bottom one with the 9 pins and the D-shaped connector shell.

The Channel 1 Ethernet port on the SLC-5/05 is on top. It has a "modular RJ-45" jack, with a little locking tab. You typically connect this to an Ethernet "switch", to which your computer is also connected. Most computers will also allow you to connect directly to the SLC-5/05 port.

Once we know if we're trying to connect via RS-232 or Ethernet, then we can figure out the hardware on the computer and the RSLinx software.

Ken,
The card is as follows:
SIIG CyberSerial ExpressCard
BCV3228X0158 JJ-EC1012-S3

As for which I am using, I am using the RJ-45 jack at this time. I am unable to use the RS-232 due to the "port conflict" issues.

I happen to be working on a 5/05 at the moment.

Just for clarity with Ken's port descriptions...

DSCF1821.PNG

OK, it's finally sinking in to me that you're connected using Ethernet because your serial port conflict prevents you from using RS-232. You're just trying to figure out why the RS-232 doesn't work because you want to use it in the future.

It's actually really tricky to figure out what program has control of a COM port in Windows.

For the first step, let's figure out the COM port number of that ExpressCard serial module.

Windows XP and Windows 7 are fairly similar:

From the Start button, open the Control Panel.
Click on the System icon.
Click on the Device Manager icon.
Scroll down to the Ports (COM and LPT) section and expand it.

Post what you find there. A screenshot would be ideal, but there are just a few lines so go ahead and transcribe them.

What we're looking for is the COM port assignment for the ExpressCard device. My guess is that it will be COM3, but only looking in the Windows Device Manager will tell us for sure.

OK, it's finally sinking in to me that you're connected using Ethernet because your serial port conflict prevents you from using RS-232. You're just trying to figure out why the RS-232 doesn't work because you want to use it in the future.

It's actually really tricky to figure out what program has control of a COM port in Windows.

For the first step, let's figure out the COM port number of that ExpressCard serial module.

Windows XP and Windows 7 are fairly similar:

From the Start button, open the Control Panel.
Click on the System icon.
Click on the Device Manager icon.
Scroll down to the Ports (COM and LPT) section and expand it.

Post what you find there. A screenshot would be ideal, but there are just a few lines so go ahead and transcribe them.

What we're looking for is the COM port assignment for the ExpressCard device. My guess is that it will be COM3, but only looking in the Windows Device Manager will tell us for sure.

Ken, Com 3 is the port that shows up when I insert the Express card. That is the only Com Port that is showing.

I don't know how to take a screen shot. Like I said before, I don't have much in the way of computer knowledge.
Thank you all for being patient with me on this.

Just to be sure it's installed correctly, does it show up as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" in Device Manager?

G.

Ok, good.

While were waiting on Ken, I'm just trying to think of things...

Bateman87 said:
...The "port conflict" issue is never ending. I have deleted the driver and have done all that Rockwell has told me to do but when every time I start a new RS-232 Driver, it automatically tells me I have a port conflict.

Just to be clear...you are only setting up one RS232 Driver in RSLinx at a time and have no other RS232 drivers using COM Ports? i.e. only one driver in the list saying port conflict?

G.

Geospark,

I only have one Rs-232 driver in my list yes. I also have ETH-1 and ETHIP-1.

I deleted the RS-232 Driver and it no longer says Port Conflict but I am still unable to connect to the SLC.

not sure to really understand, if you are using the top port that it is an Ethernet port, why would you use a serial express card for serial connection ?

With ethernet, you probably need to run bootp software and find or set ip adress of this cpu and then ping it to make sure it is responding than making sure your laptop is on the same IP adress level.

So even if you have a DB9 to RJ45 cable, you can't connect a serial port to an ethernet port
using your xpress card, you need to use the bottom port

Jeff, the opening post was a little bit confusing but if you read it carefully you'll get it.

Bateman87 said:
...If anyone knows how to fix a port conflict problem with RSlinx so that I may use the serial port again, and help me with connecting to the SLC5 using a cross-over...

Our friend was happily using the serial port with an RS232 ExpressCard and RS232 Driver for some time. Then bang it stopped working.
So while getting no where trying to get the RS232 port talking again, he has been also trying to get the Ethernet port to work. My understanding is that the serial option is the preferred comms method here, so that's why we're focusing on that.

Of course, we can help you try the Ethernet method as well.

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the ExpressCard and it's driver?

Do you also use RSLinx Enterprise?

G.

Last edited: