RSLogix 5000 v19.01 and v20.01 connection issues

TehMyxa

Ive recently been having trouble with the stability of my connection when online with a plc, The software intermittently freezes (cogwheel freezes) it last only 1-5 secs. It is a panasonic cf-52 laptop connected via wifi and there is about 75-100 plcs on that network (maybe more). I didnt have this problem till about a few months ago when there was a few more plcs added to the network. I dont have this problem on my other networks that contain about the same amount of plcs. Ive tried different laptops but the out come is the same. Troubleshooting is difficult with this problem so if any one could help that would be awesome.

I'd start with pulling up your PLC's web page in a web browser and observing the network adapters CPU utilization, packets per second and connection counts. Make sure it is not at its limits.

What is the model of PLC and/or Ethernet adapter are you connecting to?

TehMyxa, welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you out.
May you not having problems due to very long TCP timeout settings?
It is possible to change the default settings on the Windows registry. Maybe if you use a shorter value for this setting the performance may improve. It seems the default for Windows is 72 seconds. The procedure to do this change is below:

Adjusting TCP Settings for Heavy Load on Windows

1. Use the regedit command to access the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\TCPIP\Parameters registry subkey.
  2. Create a new REG_DWORD value named TcpTimedWaitDelay.
  3. Set the value to the desired value.
  4. Stop and restart the system.

TehMyxa, welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you out.
May you not having problems due to very long TCP timeout settings?
It is possible to change the default settings on the Windows registry. Maybe if you use a shorter value for this setting the performance may improve. It seems the default for Windows is 72 seconds. The procedure to do this change is below:

Adjusting TCP Settings for Heavy Load on Windows

1. Use the regedit command to access the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\TCPIP\Parameters registry subkey.
  2. Create a new REG_DWORD value named TcpTimedWaitDelay.
  3. Set the value to the desired value.
  4. Stop and restart the system.

I tried this and i still seem to have the issue. Its the same on all the plcs on the network one doesnt differ from the other.