OT: chicken coop automation

dploof23

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever automated a home chicken coop, and if so you may want to share some ideas and details.

I was thinking, (so far):
Automatically open and close the coop door with a photocell based on sunlight.

Automatically turn on and off the heat lamp and water de-icer based on temperature.

Automatically fill the water with a solenoid valve fitted to a rain barrel.

Critter alarm based on movement at night.

This is just a start and I would welcome any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Dave

One big problem in a chicken coop is when the chickens gang up on a weak or injured chick and peck it to death. Perhaps an anti-pecking alarm could be designed using an infrared detector that is calibrated to detect a pile of chickens and then set off a loud horn or spray of water to disburse the culprits.

On the poultry farm where I worked once, every new batch of young chickens got debeaked to prevent the pecking syndrome. We used a debeaker that had a heated schssor blade that melted through the beaks. I hated the smell connected to that job of burning off the beak while holding the flopping chicken.

Last edited:
One big problem in a chicken coop is when the chickens gang up on a weak or injured chick and peck it to death. Perhaps an anti-pecking alarm could be designed using an infrared detector that is calibrated to detect a pile of chickens and then set off a loud horn or spray of water to disburse the culprits.

On the poultry farm where I worked once, every new batch of young chickens got debeaked to prevent the pecking syndrome. We used a debeaker that had a heated schssor blade that melted through the beaks. I hated the smell connected to that job of burning off the beak while holding the flopping chicken.

I too worked as a de-beaker when a youngster. If you have ever burned a piece of fingernail, you will know what it smells like. BAD! But that wasn't the worse job I had.

You may want a time delay on the door closer so you don't lock out any straglers. Maybe an auger fed food dispenser would be a nice touch.

We don't have any problems with the chickens going after each other. We have roughly 20 birds, all hens, and the majority of them are silkies.

I like the idea of the auger feeder. I have to look into what I have for parts available.

Thanks for the ideas!

Dave