solenoids and E-stop

dogfart

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I am hoping to get a second set of eyes on something that I have been working on. I am trying to salvage the use of a SMC serial transmission device EX250-SEN1 and utilizing SY5000 series valves. I am looking to control a cylinder with an ItoP regulator. I have two things I am trying to accomplish here:
1. maintain pilot pressure (this is an external supply port)
2. start the regulator controlling from atmoshperic pressure
SV3100 and SV3101 are always operated in parallel. Part of me thinks I might be overcomplicating the issue, or perhaps there is a better solenoid combination to use other than the 2-pos singles that I have in the jpeg.

Thanks

VR1211F_07.jpg

I am trying to understand why you need to do it this way.
either a double ended 5/2 valve or 2 single 3/2 valves
with throttle Check valves.
the existing complexity is confusing me

Thanks for the reply.
1. The SMC 250 valve selections are set once the manifold is selected. In this case already purchased. This manifold only supports 5-2 valve combinations.
2. This I/P does not exhaust the output on power loss.

Thanks for the reply.
1. The SMC 250 valve selections are set once the manifold is selected. In this case already purchased. This manifold only supports 5-2 valve combinations.
2. This I/P does not exhaust the output on power loss.

What about one 5-3 valve combination it won't exhaust on power loss and will fit your manifold block?
Not a pneumatic expert so don't fully understand your circuit.
I think you need the piston to remain in position if Estop is pressed is this so - no dumping of air?

Last edited:
No, I need it to dump the air on E-stop. Safety issue. That is why I am using the relay valves as pilot and control enable. The pilot needs a minimum of 22 psi to shift.

I think you might be incorrectly thinking the safety.
if you dump all the air (even if you supply 22 Psi)
the speed control is still done by the restriction of the exhaust air.
with out this the piston will 'Fire' out or back.

Also most manifolds will handle 5/2, 5/3 and twin 3/2's
the twin 3/2 is definitely available from FESTO so in my mind SMC will also have them

normally you use a 'SLOW START' valve and Pressure switch
so after an E/stop Dump the air pressure is timed to increase to the desired pressure prior to the system start being enabled.
you still only need one double 5/2 to control the valve.
But by using a 5/3 you can have a closed centre and program the valve to give a Shot of Pressurized air in the correct direction so you wont loose speed control.