SCADA control room

Charbel

Dear,
I guess it is advisable to locate a server 19 inch rack in a room isolated in the control roomwhat do u think if a server room is not available. and furthermore is a room is to be located in the control room. how much clearance should be available for the rack for maintenace. thank u

Why? I just use normal PCs for SCADA - with mirror RAID hard drives of course.

Why? I just use normal PCs for SCADA - with mirror RAID hard drives of course.

This is outdated thinking. Mirrored hard drives just provide protection due to a single hard disk failure, nothing more.

EDIT: Not outdated, but narrow-minded thinking.

OP, please post the entire setup. Number of servers, size of rack, UPS, network switches...everything that will be in the rack.

Depends on the job - even with redundant servers I use mirror RAID - so does my bank! Has saved me, and them, many times I can assure you.
Most SCADA systems I do these days only want 1 main computer with Web Manager software running on some other computers - they usually will not pay the licence fee for a redundant server - including the space people!
Mirror RAID then becomes absolutely essential - will your client pay the licence fees for redundant servers? If not spend the money on mirror RAID and at least you then have some protection.
I depends on how much money your client is prepared to spend and what they really want.

Dears,

thank you for your replies,

Actually I do have dual redundant server with one historian server to be located in a 19" server rack.
my question was where to be put the rack? in the same room of the control room, is it ok? what about noise from the fan or any standard concerning this?

and if I need to make a partition in the room, how much clearance should I allow between the server rack and the wall of the partition so that maintenance works or etc... is properly done, would be good if any international standard is specifying this.

thanks a lot,

i would always look to place servers or PC's in separate room if i could. it's less job for cooling and ventilation and noise is not a problem.

i have scada systems in the same room and i'm not very happy with that.