Logix 5000 comm error with ethernet devices

tlona

We are controlling a flow rate in the process water system using a control logic L62 processor (RSLogix 5000 ver. 20) and an Endress Hauser Promass 83 flow meter. The PLC communicates with the flow meter via ethernet to obtain the flow rate (gpm). If we lose the communication signal, the PLC holds the last recorded rate flow rate value. We need this to fail safe in that if we lose comm signal, the flow rate should drop to 0 gpm. Other than writing any extra code, is there any other configuration in the RSlogix that can be done to achieve this?

"Zero means disconnected" is a classic and simple way to detect instrument disconnection, and it's why most current loop devices use 4-20 mA instead of 0-20 mA.

But it doesn't take into account the possibility that zero is an acceptable value for some measurement devices. And placing a zero into the input data table removes valuable information about what the value was before the device failure.

A-B input devices always hold the last input value in the event of a device disconnection.

The conventional method in ControlLogix to monitor for device disconnection is to use a GSV instruction to read the Module Status object. There are many examples of this here on the Forum, in the RA literature, and in the RA Knowledgebase. We can dig some up if you're not familiar with the method.

Thank-you. No need to forward documentation, I think I found the RA info (1756-PM14F-EN-P) you are referring too. Looks like you can set up a major fault to the controller on loss of communication to an ethernet module (i.e., power flex drive, EH meter, etc...) Then you can set-up a fault routine to record and clear the fault as to not take the controller out of run mode which is what our goal is. Thank-you.

You'll find you can also just use a GSV instruction to periodically check the Module Object state. Unless your I/O connection is absolutely vital to the safe operation of the machine, you don't have to go through the Major Fault process.

That sounds more appealing. How is that accomplished? It is not a safety issue it is a water quality issue and so we need to know if we lose communication so we can trigger an alarm. So If i can just get a communication status from the meter that is all we need.
Thank-you

If you go to the ab site there is sample code just for this application. I have used it for Ethernet comms to robots. Simple to decode the status feedback