What process controller ???

Zimmer

Lifetime Supporting Member
A plant I work in has many of these (getting old and obsolete) ABB commander controllers similar to photo.

images

The top line shows amps (4-20ma loop)
The bottom line displays 0 - 100%

The operator simply adjusts the % output with the up/down keys.(a 4-20ma analogue output which adjusts motor speed on a Vsd)

That's it, a manual control with a digital display, couldn't be simpler, thats all that happens , nothing fancy, nothing automatic, no alarm relays, pid etc etc.

I know there are zillions of controllers which could do the job, but this is more about aesthetics/operator familiarity and they don't want to reinvent the wheel, so no need for touch screens etc.

So the question is, does anyone know of an "ideal" controller, which is

a) 96 x 96 mm
b) good quality and reliable
c) can simultaneously show two large legible displays (i.e.. scaleable input and
percentage output.
d) has two good quality hardware buttons for up and down (these get a lot of daily use)
e) any additional features, buttons, menus etc. are not desired.

On a similar note, does anyone know, if there is a panel mount 4-20 ma output module, with up/down buttons (i.e bottom half of the above controller), I know it's just a glorified potentiometer, or I could mount the vsd displays remotely etc, but the customer likes it like this.

Any ideas , thanks

Why not just get some spares... they are good kit.

If you are hell bent on spending money the ABB controlmaster is excellent

If you decide to change brands, Honeywell UDC 2500 is 1/4 DIN (96mm x 96mm) functions as a controller or a manual station.

Good field reliability.

The keys have a good tactile feedback; mechanical switches behind a rubberized cover. You feel the click action of the switch when you press it. I hate membrane key(pad)s and avoid them.

Top display shows the process variable (scaleable input range)

To run as a manual station, the M-A (auto/manual) key is used to pop it into manual mode. The lower display automatically displays the percentage output when it's in manual mode.

2mrsa52.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks danw, changing brands is no problem at all, that one looks close to perfect. :site:
Cheers m8.

The Honeywell's are nice. They even have an infrared receiver on the face. It has been awhile since I messed with one, but I "think" you can use infrared to change the setpoint.
Automation Direct also sell process controllers that are much cheaper in price ($100 a pop), but I'm not sure about long term reliability of the buttons.

HW UDC2500 is a great controller.
I have used HW controllers for decades and am very impressed with its PID, life, and support.

However if you are worried about tuning the PID....look into the Yamatake SDC36 or SDC46. Same features as HW and more.
http://www.azbil.com/products/bi/cp/detail/d09.html
(On a side note... Honeywell private labels some of the Yamatake controllers (the DCP series), however the HW UDC series is from France.)

These controllers have tons of capabilities, especially the SDC46, which looks nicer, but it is more expensive.
These controllers have up to 8 PIDS that can be used inside up to 8 customized ranges (% of full scale). Without a doubt the best autotune I have ever used, very fast and "on the money".

Last edited: