OT - please recommend idiot proof 1/16DIN PID temp control

strantor

If you were going to go down to the closest overpass or homeless shelter to hand pick a person to install, program, and tune 1/16DIN panel PID temperature controllers, which controllers would you have them install? Assume that the instructions will be burned or otherwise rendered gone, at some point between when the box is opened and when it's time to apply power.

Apparently Wattlow EZ-ZONE controllers are not EZ enough; looking for something EZ'r.

EDIT:
Oh, I guess you might want some specifics:
2 outputs, heating & cooling
Mixture of relay outputs and low voltage DC outputs for SSR (need option, either/or)
Type J theromocouple input
120VAC power

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I kinda liked the Chromalox 1601 when I worked with it. I found it pretty easy to navigate and surprisingly flexible, right off the shelf.

However, I'm way above your average overpass dweller. I live in a wonderful cardboard box condo which I move around because I find living at the same adress all the time to be oh-so-conformist.

+1

Somewhere in this forum I met a GENERAL RULE, which says:
The more idiotproof application you make, the better idiots are hired from the H.R. department. :D

ROFL!

I know you meant "by the H.R. department" but it's just so appropriate just as it stands.

ROFL!

I know you meant "by the H.R. department" but it's just so appropriate just as it stands.
As english is not my native language, I'm trying to do my best.
by, from...
Probably "by" is the correct one, but as you say, "from the H.R." is more reasonable as this is usually the department where the density of the above mentioned kind of people is very high.

As english is not my native language, I'm trying to do my best.
by, from...
Probably "by" is the correct one, but as you say, "from the H.R." is more reasonable as this is usually the department where the density of the above mentioned kind of people is very high.

You're doing fine, your English is very good. I just happen to like puns and wordplay, so the slight difference the way you wrote it struck me as very funny. For exactly the reason you just gave, LOL!

Paul T

ps - Kid, I have to admit I have no idea what your reference is! Although we do have a local automation company and their logo is a fox... but I don't think that's it.

Maybe you should not be that cheap on the labor.o_O

+1

There are lots of people needing jobs right now....you might want to raise the bar a touch.

Dave

I hear ya. This isn't for me; I'm a Field Service Tech, working for an Automation distributor. I got this phone call from a customer, who supposedly was looking for "technical support" but what he really wanted was a salesman to sell him hundreds of temp controllers that his ignorant mechanics can install. After posting this, I handed the ball of to one of our sales guys; here is an excerpt from the email I sent the salesman:

[...]He wants something that any old mechanic can install and tune without a manual and without any help. My opinion is that ANY controller is going to have a setup menu, and in order to navigate the menu, you are going to need the manual; if your mechanics can't be bothered to open the manual and read what it says, then maybe you should be looking for new mechanics and not new controllers.[...]
Good luck