Panelview Plus vs Panelview Plus 6

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking for some feedback on PV+ vs PV+6. We are specing out a new piece of equipment and the vendor uses the PV+6... all we have on site is PV+. In reading the literature I see where the PV+6 has some embedded software..just wondering what are the advantages. As always your comments are greatly appreciated.:geek:

The "only" differences between between the PV+ and PV+6 systems are the OS (Proprietary RA for PV+ and Windows CE for PV+6) and the "Database Handler" (Proprietary RA for PV+ and MS SQL for PV+6).
Shortly, "Night" for PV+ and "Day" for PV+6....:D
You will need FactoryTalk View Studio Rev. 6.0 and higher for PV+6 applications; FTVS 6.0 or higher is also compatible with the PV+ graphic terminals..
PV+6s are also significantly cheaper than the same class PV+ ones...:geek:

They have access to CE desktop, embedded utilities like PDF reader, VNC and such. They are supposed to be more responsive (for example less delay when typing in IP addresses and such) and they have switched to Secure Digital in place of Compact Flash memory.

They are phasing out the pre "6" terminals, you cannot flash them above firmware 5.1. I think eventually you will have to get the PVP6 hardware.

Having used both, I can confirm that the "6" responds to touch input noticeably faster. The depth of the "6" is also slimmer than the regular PVP.

With regard to embedded software, they also come with FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station pre-installed and activated.

All terminals support:

– FTP server
– VNC Client/Server
– PDF reader
– Active X controls
– Third-party device support

Extended features (optional extras):

– IE Web Browser
– Remote desktop connection
– Media Player
– Viewer for PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
– WordPad text editor

Redesign of PanelView Plus Logic module:

– Increased RAM Capacity – 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM
– Larger FLASH Capacity – 512 MB FLASH
– High speed USB 2.0 port
– Separate USB device port for download, direct connection to PC
– Faster processor - VIA 1.0 GHz
– Increased DRAM Bandwidth - DDR2 @ 533MHz

The faster processor and DRAM aid the responsiveness of the touchscreen.

Yes, the dimensions are streamlined, but not just in depth. The screen covers more of the face of the terminal.
For instance, a PanelView Plus 6 12.1" terminal can replace a PanelView 1000 10.1" terminal, and still fit in the same cut-out.

Unless you specifically need any of those features, an older PanelView Plus would be ok to use, but I would also advise you to use the latest hardware.

Rockwell Automation said:
All PanelView Plus 700-1500 and all PanelView Plus CE models
(version 5.1 and earlier) are Silver Series with expected last-time
buy deadline of December 31, 2012 or as parts last.

Here's the selection guide for the PanelView Plus 6 terminals.

G.

p.s. Off for a weeks hols in sunny Portugal!:p

PVP 6 Features.jpg

Last edited: