Comparing Multiple Micrologix 1000 Programs

Tim Ganz

I have a folder with about 50 of the same plc program file with the same name. I don't know which on the machine needs.

The date created is the same on all of them and the last accessed date is the same on all of them.

How can I compare this many files? Some may be the same and some not they are all 50 or 51 KB in size but they could be different even if they are the same size correct?

You can compare two programs at a time by using the built-in RSLogix Compare menu ("Tools, Compare"). You could set up a spreadsheet where you list the files that are exactly the same, and the ones with differences.

RSLogix 500 COMPARE.jpg

Hi

You could try and go online to the plc and it will only connect with the correct plc program.

That's if you have access to the plc

Donnchadh

The date created is the same on all of them and the last accessed date is the same on all of them.
That sounds like it is a bunch of backup files that have been saved to this file folder. You could try changing the file details for that folder to show "Date Modified". I find that detail often shows the last file to be revised or changed. Sometimes the "Date Modified" will be the same day, but the times will be different. However if they all show the same day & time, then probably they are all identical.

Windows File Details.jpg

Last edited:
Date modified is the same on all of them and they are.rss files not.bak files.

The plc died and I have to install another one but not sure which program to use.

Just because the file type is RSS does not mean that someone did not save multiple copies as backup files. Most likely, s/he saved each modification under the same name then copied them all to a backup folder. I often save backups as RSS types rather than BAK, because I want to be able to load directly to RSLogix.

You could post a few of them here and let us compare them for you. They are probably all the exact same program.

PS: "Date Modified" does not necessarily have the same time as "Date Accessed" or "Date Created".

Last edited:
I can imagine someone, getting frustrated about having his program changed or deleted, copying it 50 times. That would produce the same date and time on all copies. Windows normally prevents reusing the exact same file name in the same file folder.

Last edited:
If all you are trying to do is determine if you have a bunch of identical files, you can use the "DOS" command FC. From the windows command line, fc /b filename1 filename2 will tell you if the two files are a 100% match by doing a byte by byte compare. The "differences report" will not be very useful, but it can tell you for sure that you have two identical files.

That may be helpful in weeding down the number of files to just the ones that are different. Then you can use the PLC compare tool to see what is different between them.

The "date created", "date modified", "date accessed" are all pretty flakey.