Siemens S7 training

masterfixer

All,
I am looking at taking a "beginner'ish" Step 7 class in November. Do you have any recommended places to take this class (in the US).

Currently I can log onto an S7 and stumble my way through common logic, search I/O, make basic edits, etc (in STL). I work with French made machines that use only statement list. The machines use ALOT of remote I/O on Profibus. I am not a Profibus guy but need to be.

I have been an AB guy for years so I am not a programming newbie but I am in no way a S7 guy. There is no particular project I am working on I just want to learn some more đź“š.

Thanks,
Eric

I'm a Michigan resident, and there are a ton of these classes around me at the community colleges.

Also, Youtube is an excellent resource in regards to learning pretty much everything Siemens.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am looking for a 4 or so day class at a training center of some type. I am in Virginia but can travel to the class if needed.
I also do not need any examples since I have all my machine copies. Thanks though.

This is what you need... I went to a S5 class, but they have S7 and TIA also contact your local Siemens rep as mine has one day class (free) a few times a year more in the TIA Portal

See here http://www.industry.usa.siemens.com/services/us/en/industry-services/Pages/industry-services.aspx

Give them a call and they can send you a link to the class dates

There is also a Step 7 programmer on the site but I have not see him for awhile, he also teaches and I would put him up against any programmer... can't remember his name, he is out of up north (east coast)

If you're doing the Sitrain training, and you're already a programmer, you're going to find it very basic, as far as programming goes. Start off by learning how Siemens addresses the I/O, and setting up the hardware. Then you'll program a small plant simulator. this is where you may find it boring. I was partnered with an engineer who was an experienced AB programmer, and he spent most of his time playing with his phone. The only time he got interested was when we were setting up a HMI panel. And he took to it extremely easily. The only reason his company got him to do the training was so they could tell potential clients that they had done it. Significant point was he found the crossover between the brands very easy.