RSLinx Classic Lite ETH-IP Driver

kpl_39

I am having a problem configuring an ethernet driver in RS Linx running on Windows 7.

When configruing the "ethernet/ip driver" I click add new and select either windows default or my ethernet card. When I click ok nothing gets listed under configured drivers.

When configuring "ethernet devices," I click add new and enter an ip address of a plc that I know is online on the same subnet as my computer. Again, when I click ok I get nothing under the list of configured drivers.

I can ping the ip of the plc but cannot connect in rs linx.

I have a computer running windows xp that I can add either driver to with no problems at all.

Everything is exactly the same except for the operating system.

Also, I have tried to disable my ethernet card and use wireless and vice versa all with the same result. I have also tried running rs linx as an administrator to no avail.

Thanks for the help!

-Kyle

You could try choosing the "Remote Devices via Linx Gateway" driver and just type in the IP address of the PLC you know is online in the configuration box. This is the only method that works for me when connecting to a site I support through their VPN network.

Welcome to the Forum !

The version of RSLinx Classic may be important; that software has been around since the mid 1990s and you might have installed a version without Windows 7 support.

The version of Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit, Home or Professional) may also be important; post that.

In general when you can't create a driver, it's because your user account doesn't have privileges to write to the RSLinx program files folders.

You mentioned trying to "run as an administrator". Is the username under which you have logged in a member of the Administrators group ?

RSLinx is also tricky to use in a Remote Desktop session; if you are using RDP or a virtual machine, please describe your setup.

rslinx 2.54

windows 7 64 bit pro

the name I used to login is under the administrator's group

when I tried the gateway method it said it could not find any rs link classic compatible drivers.

I'll try updating to a newer version to see if that helps.

thanks

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it will be a version problem but have heard of some people getting success when running RSLinx in XP SP2 compatibility mode. If you have a newer version then it would be best to update though.

someone I work with gave me a .msi file of rslinx 2.59

I uninstalled rslinx 2.54 by putting in my rslogix 500 install disk, going to maintenance and clicking remove.

once removed I ran the 2.59 update and after clicking install I get a message that says "the installation package of FactoryTalk Service Platform is not found. Please make sure the FactoryTalk Services Platform installer is located on the installation media under the subdirectory redist\rslinx\enu\redist\ftsp"

I don't have any other installation media and when I entered my serial number for rslogix into the rockwell automation update qualification it said that my serial number is no longer in support.

I have factorytalk services platform installed from my rslogix installation.

thanks for the help

Kyle

You probably broke RSLinx by attempting to use the MSI installer without all the other prerequisites that are handled by the actual installer.

Version 2.54 wasn't going to work in Windows 7 anyway.

Go ahead and follow the instructions to get the free download of RSLinx 2.59 and try the installation again.

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys

I now have it working in compatibility mode for windows xp sp2.

I will try to updating ftsp to 2.5 and rslinx to 2.59 and then follow up.