Micrologix 1200 On Data Highway Plus

Tim Ganz

I have a Data Highway Plus network for programming PLC's. I have a new machine that has a Micrologix 1200 in it and I need to see if I can add it to the Data Highway Plus network with some sort of adaptor or something.

Also the side port is connected to a Panelview 300 Micro HMI and the front port is connected to a Modicon HMI.

I would like to get it on Data Highway and have a local programming port somehow. What are my options if any?

Tim,

Your options depend on what the current setup is protocol wise on the new ML1200.

Your PV300 Micro is using DF1, as the side HMI port of the ML1200 can only use this protocol. So that completely rules out using the side port for communications with DH+ here.

The MicroLogix 1200 does not directly support DH+. You would normally have to bridge it's front Channel 0 port from DH-485 to DH+. Once this connection is established, a PC on the remote DH+ network can do remote programming through the bridging device to the ML1200 on the DH-485 network. The ML1200 can also initiate and respond to PLC messages on the remote DH+ network.

The front Channel 0 can be configured for all the usual DF1, DH-485, Modbus, ASCII, etc. protocols.

If the front port is using DH-485, and the ML1200 has an existing AIC to link it to the Modicon HMI, then you could connect from which ever AIC port is free to a DH+ bridge on your DH+ network. Such as a free SLC 5/04 DH+ port, or a 1785-KA5 PLC-5 Gateway.

But if the front port is using say DF1 to the Modicon HMI, and the HMI cannot be reconfigured to use DH-485, then you're in a bit of bother. If it could be reconfigured to DH-485, then, apart from having to edit the ML1200 and HMI programs, you still have to add the necessary AIC and bridging device, if you don't have them.

So what protocol is that front port using? o_O

G.

Last edited:
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread......

GeoSpark,

Where is this side com port that you mention?

I thought ML1200 Only had a single comport on front of the controller which is a 8 pin mini-din port.

I would be totally thrilled if I can get a 2nd com port on this unit without any add-ons.

Thx

Tim,

I wrote that reply quickly before leaving work late last night and I've since realized a slight error I made.

Geospark said:
...then you could connect from which ever AIC port is free to a DH+ bridge on your DH+ network.

This is incorrect as the free port would be RS-232 wiring.
You would have to connect from the AIC's RS-485 port 3 Pheonix plug to the DH+ network.

Attached is a typical layout for DH-485 to DH+ bridged networks.

G.

ML1200 on DH+.png

skyfox,

ML1200 User Manual said:
The 1762-LxxxxxR controllers provide an additional communication port called the Programmer/HMI Port. This port supports DF1 full-duplex protocol only. The controller cannot initiate messages through this port. It can only respond to messages sent to it. All communication parameters are fixed and cannot be changed by a user.

This port is on the left side for the 1762-LxxxxxR models.

G.

ML1200 Programming_HMI Port.png