help omron plc communication

kendrew99

hi their plc experts Im a newbie in communicating plc to pc I just wanna need your help. Can I use a regular usb to rs232 cable that are available on the market? can you help me on how to make a usb to rs232 cable or rs232 to rs232 serial cable, and also what are the software drivers use in communicating the plc to the pc. đź“š o_O

No, a standard cable will not work. The Omron serial port is not a standard pinout.
The cable that you will need depends on the PLC model you ware working with.

if you don't want to buy a cable.

I have a CJ2MCPU33 and connected fine using a regualar USB set the IP address and now using ethernet IP (4Pin) Working like a charm

USB to serial adapters are very problematic with the Omron serial port. The Omron cable works OK and a few others. PCI serial cards work much better.
If your PLC has either USB or Ethernet use that port for programming. If it is an older PLC then we need to know which model you have to help you more.

sorry ken i have not used a special cable to program the CJ2MCPU33. I know that the pins are different so I doubt that a standard cable would work. I have only used what I stated earlier.

Why spend money on a cable that can only be used for one thing if you don't mind me asking?

Hi kendrew,

I believe that there is an peripheral port in an omrom cj2m, you can use that port for usb to usb communication.

My officemate used a cable with the usb in a siemens MPI which I think is the same as a standard printer cable (usb-usb) to communicate to an omron cj2m.

btw regarding this matter I have a problem in communicating an omron cj1m plc, the plc also has a peripheral port, but the port is very different from the cj2m and my only option for now is to use an rs232 to usb cable as my laptop doesn't have any serial port.

Now that Mendonsy said that "a standard cable will not work" I should be very careful in choosing what cable it is that will work for me to communicate to the cj1m.

kendrew, I would like to ask you on how were you able to fix your communication with the cj2m.

thanks in advance