First time AB PLC

Joel201

Good day,

This is my first project using a compactlogix PLC. what Power supply should i use if i am using a 1769-L32C PLC in the AB website i saw 1769 I/O power supplies and 1768 Power Supplies i am confused because it says I/O power supplies does it power the PLC also. Sorry for the super newbie question thanks for understanding.

For the 1769-L32 family controllers, use the 1769 series power supplies, such as the 1769-PA2. The power supply provides power to both the CPU and the I/O module backplane, but not to the I/O circuitry (sensors, actuators, etc) themselves.

The 1768 series power supplies are specifically for the 1768-L43 and 1768-L45 mid-range CompactLogix controllers.

Thanks for the reply sir..
I would also like to take this chance to ask if i can connect to a controlnet using the built in port of 1769-L32C or do i need to place additional modules for me to connect to a controlnet. thanks in advance

The 1769-L32C was an unusual controller, and not as popular as the 1769-L32E was. It has a single built-in ControlNet port.

You can connect it to a ControlNet network trunk by adding a ControlNet Tap, like a 1786-TPS.

If you are using redundant ControlNet cabling, and want to connect a CompactLogix, you need the 1769-L35CR, which has the redundant ControlNet media ports.

Remember that the RJ45 connector on the 1769-L32C is NOT ETHERNET ! It is a ControlNet Network Access port, used for connecting the old 1784-PCC interface cards.

Thanks for the help sir...
Can you give a manual or any pdf files that i can use to study controlnet and controlnet communication for example in my case i need to connect the 1769-L32C to a DCS that is connected in a controlnet thanks for the help again :)

Oh ok....
hmmm again sorry for being a super noob at this but i wanna know if i use the 1769-L32C can it connect to the DCS directly and i can get data bits from it?? or do i need to know something about their DCS like for example you said that L32C is used to connect to a 1784-PCC interface module what if they are using the 1784-PCIC or the 1784-PCICS cards does it make a difference for what PLC i should use?? thanks for helping

You need to figure out how the DCS presents data on ControlNet. It might do it as Produced/Consumed Tags, or as I/O connections, or it might emulate a ControlLogix Tag Database.

Just knowing it's on ControlNet gives you the basic cabling and signal types. Exactly *how* the DCS presents data, they will have to explain.

Thanks for your answer sir...
Can you please check my list if it lacks anything for controlnet application like communication cables.
1.1769-PA2
2.1769-L32C
3.1769-IQ32
4.1769-OB32
5.1769-IF8

uhmmm can someone explain to me the difference of a redundant media and single media controlnet network..
And if my network is using redundant media can i use a PLC that is a single media.. sorry for the stupidity of the question but i just wanna know. thanks for helping me....:D:sick: