RSLogix 5000 "I/O not repsonding"

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
When I am online to Controllogix, I see "I/O Not Responding" is flashing.
Am I right in assuming that this is because my spare I/O is not connected?

Go to the IO Configuration section of the project organiser, and follow the yellow warning triangles to any modules that are causing problems.

Double-click the module to bring up the properties, and go to the "Connection" tab.

On that page you will see the precise cause of the error.

I do not have any warning triangles and all installed I/O has been verified.
However...I do have unconnected analog I/O that is spare and and also spare digital I/O that is on diagnostic modules.
The spare Analog and Digital I/O is on Point I/O.

I would have bet a hot donut that you were going to find a warning triangle, since that's the usual indication of an I/O connection that's not running.

Just having I/O modules connected to a 1734-AENT adapter but not in the I/O tree isn't enough to get an "I/O Not Responding" condition.

Could you have a Consumed Tag from another ControlLogix-family controller that's not configured or operating correctly ?

I've never seen the "I/O Not Responding" light flashing in the absence of a broken I/O module, motion axis, or Consumed Tag connection.

Got it...I think...
I do have some yellow triangles on my AB drives (525 and 755).
I am talking Ethernet/IP to the 2 AB drives. However the drives are not always powered up.
So, when power is off, there is no response from the drives across Ethernet/IP.

I will power them up tomorrow an see if triangles go away and also "I/O not responding" is resolved.

The "I/O Not Responding" indications and the yellow warning triangles are one and the same thing.

You get an "I/O Not Responding" condition because at least one of the connections required in the I/O tree (or Produced/Consumed tags) is not made.

The warning triangles help you to locate where the problems physically are.

In other words, you get warning triangle(s) because you have an I/O not responding situation.