What PLC to use?

Murrayt

I would like to know, if I was to start a new project, what PLC I should use. This project is for industrial use. Usually my number I/O is not very high, < then 200. I am very familiar with Koyo products and I am very happy but somehow I have a feeling that I should switch to AB. Cost is usually a problem. I know AB software is expensive and Koyo is very inexpensive. I can't forget, networking these plc's to drives is a very important subject for me. Drives is another subject that I am curious at what other people are using.
I looking for feedback on these subjects from other people in the automation world.

There are a lot of good and smart people here, however.
It is my opinion that this is a better subject to discus with the equipment suppliers close to you.
Call them in one at a time, get to know them and you will find one or more to whom you can trust and depend on to deliver what is best for you, your company and your products.
Of course if you want to embrace the internet that is your prerogative.

There are lots of issues that go into vendor selection, and most of them are application specific. They include price, of course, but also quality, support available and support you need, availability, installed base, programming time, and start-up requirements. I've used both of the suppliers you mentioned and had success with both.

If you don't need on site support, price is important, and you are familiar with the programming package I'm not sure why you want to switch to A-B. They make great stuff, and pricing is more competitive than it used to be, but they are still probably more expensive for hardware. The big cost penalty, though, is that you will have to learn new programming software and re-write all code from scratch. You will also have to go up a learning curve during start-up, and that can be very expensive.

Comms are great with either platform. A-B may be better at some of their native protocols, but AutomationDirect supports lots of protocols as well. Again, I've used both successfully, and also had some real hair pulling experiences with both.

Murrayt,

what is your plant standard?
what is maintenance used to working with?
which plc distributor is local and what is their support like? what spares do they keep on the shelf?

if there is no plant standard, i suggest that you get with the engineering department and discuss making a plc the company standard.

same software, same type of programming methods.

regards,
james

I see here, lot of positive experience with Automation Direct PLCs, and I can not understand it if we forget lower price. I have experience with DL205, and I find very user unfriendly and time consuming. On other side in same category (Micro and Compact PLC) and i same price range producers like Mitsubishi, Omron, Schneider Electric have good offer with very good software.
So, if there is some good person to enlighten me...

P.S: Just to say, that I find Automation Direct HMI (C-More) quite good... but it is not same subject...

Murray,

Based on what you have disclosed, I can only offer you what we can provide.

For the PLC, we offer an Ethernet Embedded PLC from Triangle Research. The version you choose will be dependent upon your I/O requirements. More information can be viewed through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/tri-plc.htm

The software is ladder logic and basic commands. More information can be viewed through this link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/plcsoftware.htm

In terms of networking your drives, should you use Ethernet as your connection, we also offer the hardware through Westermo. We offer both managed and unmanaged switches. More information can be viewed through the following link that will take you to additional product pages:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Westermo/industrialethernet.htm

Should you require touch screens, HMI software or an OPC server, we also have those items it our tool box.

Feel free to post, pm or email if you have any additional questions.