Tag Editor in CX-one?

locotumbler

I am looking through a program at my facility. I am a newb when it comes to Omron plc language. Is there a simple tag editor that i can use to find out all the inputs and outputs that are being used? I know this sounds kinda silly (just look at the PLC silly) but this machine was modified many years back and lots of the wires are simply not being used for anything.

as you can see by the attached photo you can understand why i am looking to find out what inputs and outputs are used by my current program. plus we only have the trial version of the programming software as this unit was built and modified by and outside service that has gone under and we don't want to purchase a new software just to work with this one piece of equipment.

i think this cabinet qualifies to be listed in the worst of catagory but i couldn't find that thread.

IMAG0781 (1024x576).jpg

Omron's term for tags is a bit different. IF whoever wrote the program actually defined them they would be listed under symbols in CX-Programmer. Looking at the workmanship, I wouldn't count on it.
AND ... no, that's not the worst panel I have seen. I have photos of several that are even worse.

Omron's term for tags is a bit different. IF whoever wrote the program actually defined them they would be listed under symbols in CX-Programmer. Looking at the workmanship, I wouldn't count on it.
AND ... no, that's not the worst panel I have seen. I have photos of several that are even worse.

since i only have a trial version i can't print the code. all the items are actually labeled. there are only a few "Q" and a handful of "W"'s and lots of other random numbered coils. i know most of them are for the denso RC5 robots and touch screen. from my initial look at it i think i only need like 10% of this cabinet. It was an automated soldering machine turned into what we use it for.

I have never seen a PLC mounted vertically. Omron specifically tells you not to install it this way in the manual.

For the I/O's, these are found in the symbol table in the PLC program. Omron automatically assigns the I/O. I attached a picture from the manual.

So if you do a search in CX-Programmer for the first input (0.0) then this will associate with the first wired point at the first input card. Then you can determine if this is actually being used in the program (or this wire is no longer required).

11-12-2013 10-06-13 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The addresses with "Q" prefix will be "real world" outputs.
"I" prefix "real world" inputs.
"W" bits are work (think internal) bits/words.

A quick way to see what is used is to use the View pull down menu, click the Cross Reference Report. Choose Usage Overview, then IO memory, then click Generate. You should get a table view of all the used IO memory locations.

Hope this will help.

Ok I did that. and on the chart there are lots of numbers with 1D, 2D and so on. what does the D signify?
I have dumped the io charts into a spreadsheet. looks like i'm actually only using 8 outputs and 11 inputs. so it looks like I will be able to eliminate all the red relays and use terminal strips instead of free hanging wirenuts.

I have attached the spreadsheet if someone else could glance at it and please confirm my suspicions on the i/o counts I would appreciate it.

The D addresses are Data Memory registers. The DM area is 16 bit retentive memory that can be used to store data.
The PLC in your photo appears to be a CJ1M. You should download the W340, W393, and W394 manuals from the Omron website. They will answer a lot of questions.

The "D" indicates the address has a symbol assigned to it.

The number indicates the number of times the address is used in the program.

So if you have addresses with a number and no "D", it is used but no symbol has been assigned.

I will try to take a look at the spreadsheet on Monday.