Need Advice/Help with Panel Building

liberati

I will be building a panel and I want to make sure that I am staying to code.

I know that I need to worry about SCCR Ratings, and Panel FLA.

Does anyone know any good sources for learning how to find the FLA of devices/motors etc and determining the overall FLA for the panel?

I have heard/read different things and am not sure what to believe e.g only take fla upstream of transformers as opposed to only taking the FLA of the load side of the transformer.

Also if there are any books or reference material that you would suggest it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I will be building a panel and I want to make sure that I am staying to code.

I know that I need to worry about SCCR Ratings, and Panel FLA.

Does anyone know any good sources for learning how to find the FLA of devices/motors etc and determining the overall FLA for the panel?

I have heard/read different things and am not sure what to believe e.g only take fla upstream of transformers as opposed to only taking the FLA of the load side of the transformer.

Also if there are any books or reference material that you would suggest it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You are building industrial controls. The primary task is engineering sufficiency.

You asked about "Staying to Code". One applicable "CODE" would be NEC NFPA70 National Electrical Code. This code is applicable to primarily buildings occupied by persons, see NFPA70 SCOPE, and is enforced by the AHJ (Authority having jurisdiction).

The NEC will require you to label your industrial equipment, but will not provide design instructions. See NFPA articles regarding labeling INDUSTRIAL CONTROLS panels.

You also need to reference "Consensus Standards". See NFPA79. There may be many consensus standards applicable, ANSI, OSHA, NFPA, etc.

You could hire an outside firm to validate your design.

Also, do not forget that your client may have specifications beyond applicable local codes and standards.

Okay, thanks for the responses. I will take a look through that link and the NFPA70.

If I have any questions I will be sure to ask :b

Does the panels need to be built to UL508A standards?
if so, totally new ball game and set of rules.

codes to use.
NEC 70 national electric code.
for hazardous applications see sections 500

NFPA 70E Arc Flash

NFPA 79 - Electrical standard for industrial machinery"
may not have the title correct.

NFPA 496 - Purging and Pressurization for industrial enclosures.

FYI -
no numatics in the same panel with electrical components!
the dc common is not the ac common wire!
NO Control voltages allowed on new control panels above 120 volts - NFPA 79
when going from 220 or higher voltages down to 120, ground the x2 terminal of the transformer to the panel. you avoid floating voltages from the plant power. learned that the hard way.

regards,
james