S7-1200

PLC Pie Guy

Hello there.
I am having some difficulty connecting to a new out of the box S7-1200. I am running an XP PRO VM on WIN 7 64 bit. I have V12 basic of TIA Portal. I have made sure that my firewalls are shut off and there is no virus checker. The issue is that I can't see the 1200 when trying to update accessible devices. I have downloaded the 1200 IP TOOL with no better results. It too does not see the 1200. I can ping from the VM my host and the rest of my PLC network no problem. I have this 1200 connected directly to my laptop with a standard straight through ethernet cord. (Ihave tried a crossover cable and did not work) I have called SIEMENS tech support but downloading the IP tool was thier soloution. They are suggesting that maybe the unit is no good. I find this hard to concieve as it just came out of the box this morning.
The unit powers up fine and the only LED that is on after startup is the run/stop orange LED. On the ethernet port I have a steady LINK light and my TX/RX light is flickering as I believe it should.

Any takers?

Thanks

Try accessing the s7-1200 on Win 7. If it works, then there is something fishy with the VM.

I tried installing the tool on my host machine but i get the error message " The installation of microsoft visual C++ 2005 Redistributalbe Package (X86) has failed. Do you want to continue with the installation?" I said yes and installed it but now I can't open it becuse it gives another error that it is missing files.

Hm, ok if you can access another s7-1200 then it can't be the VM. Maybe the s7-1200 is broken from factory? I guess you have tried resetting both the computer and the VM?

many times. I have tried every selection in the PG/PC interface and a reset after selecting each one. I have tried everything I can think of short of trying to get another computer to try this on. Been at this all day.:confused:

In my first post I clearly stated that this is an out of the box unit. It has no IP address. i should be able to see its MAC address in the window when I refresh the update accessable devices window.

Did you click on the show all accessible devices checkbox and then re browse?
The 1200 does not have an IP yet, so it will not show up on the initial browse.

How is your network configured for the virtual machine?
It can be configured as NAT, internal networking etc. I believe that you should have it configured for bridged mode but don't quote me on that, it's just a guess. Play around with the network settings until you find a working one.

Dont know siemens that well but i dont think you will be able to find the plc via ethernet if it doesnt have an ip yet. Your pc will be sitting on a completely different range than that of plc. With other brands you first have to download to the plc via serial or usb comms to assign an adress. Or it has dip-switch where you can manually assign an ip.

How is your network configured for the virtual machine?
It can be configured as NAT, internal networking etc. I believe that you should have it configured for bridged mode but don't quote me on that, it's just a guess. Play around with the network settings until you find a working one.

yep, bridged mode works

Dont know siemens that well but i dont think you will be able to find the plc via ethernet if it doesnt have an ip yet. Your pc will be sitting on a completely different range than that of plc. With other brands you first have to download to the plc via serial or usb comms to assign an adress. Or it has dip-switch where you can manually assign an ip.

actually TIA solves that by scanning all ranges on all subnets. S7-1200 does not have any other port than LAN port to connect to it right of-the-shelf

Hey there. I am still fighting with this. I have tried both the bridged and NAT settings on my VM. Bridged is the norm for me. Mike, yes I tried selecting the show all selectable devices checkbox but that did not help. I would think if anything could see it the S7IPTOOL would find it. I am now wanting to try it on a WIN 7 PRO VM but unfortunatly my hard drive does not have enough space left to even put the VM on my hard drive. I tries running it from my external hard drive but it was way to slow to accomplish anything. So I am only left with the option of installing S7 V12 Basic on my host machne with my Rockwell stuff. This does not exite me as I think it may lead to other troubles. My other option is to try this on another computer but unfortunatly my IT dept. has the other PCs so stricktly goverened that I can't log on as an administrator. Do I need to be an administrator to install and run S7?

yes you need to be an administrator at least to install it. but i had installed on one laptop RSL500 and tia v10.5 and wincc flex 2008 with no problem.