PID pump application - use PF 70 or PF 40

PLC_JoeD

Hello all!

I have a pump application that will be pumping a very tight volume of lotion onto a material as it's moving. I planned on using the internal PID on a Powerflex drive and just giving it a speed command from an analog out of the Horner PLC that is on the machine.

My feedback is a 4-20 via an Emerson Micro motion flow meter.

My question is: Is a PF 40 sufficient for the job or is a 70 the way to go? It is only a 1/2 hp motor on the pump

What is the big jump from the 40 to the 70? Just much more functionality?

And I have not checked out the 520 series of drives yet. I'm always afraid to try out the new series of products until I see reviews.

Last edited:
What is the big jump from the 40 to the 70? Just much more functionality?

And I have not checked out the 520 series of drives yet. I'm always afraid to try out the new series of products until I see reviews.
7 series are "architechture class drives" meaning they are built to last, to be repaired, to connect to higher level systems, and perform more accuracy based tasks, i.e vector torque control. 4 series are "component class drives" intended for OEM applications, one-off tasks, less connectivity capability (although that changed) and the vector control algorithm in the 40s is not torque control capable, it is velocity vector control. The 4 series are intended to be "cheaper" to compete against like drives, but like them, they are throw-away in that they are not designed to be repaired.

520 series is a cross to a certain extent. Functionality of the 40 (plus some), built-in connectivity (in the 525) and easily replaceable modular components. The concept is, some features of the architecture drives at the price point of the component class.